Should my flute be hard to play ?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Should my flute be hard to play ?

Post by Bretton »

Hi, the only flute I own, and the only one I've ever tried to play, is an Olwell Bb Bamboo.

I've had it for over a year and get it out to play every now and then. Only about once a week for maybe 15-20 minutes.

I don't seem to be getting any better at it...I can hit the lower octave just fine and 2nd octave D with the first hole vented, but it takes a LOT of air and I can't hit any of the higher notes. My sound/tone is not very consistent and I about pass out after playing a few notes.

I've heard many people mention that lower key flutes are easier to play. Is that true? Would I have an easier time with something lower (F or D) instead of the Bb?

I know I haven't been spending enough time working with the flute but it seems like I should be able to play a 2 octave scale by now! :sniffle:

Any comments and/or suggestions?

Thanks!

-Brett
Gordon

Re: Should my flute be hard to play ?

Post by Gordon »

Bretton wrote:
I've had it for over a year and get it out to play every now and then. Only about once a week for maybe 15-20 minutes.

I don't seem to be getting any better at it...
!

-Brett

I think I've found your problem...

Gordon
glauber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by glauber »

Bb is basically a fife. It's not very hard, but it does require a firm embochure. You'll probably be happier with something pitched in F or G, for starters.
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
jerball

Post by jerball »

Grey Larson lives in your neck of the woods. So does Mike Casey. Ask one of them to play your flute and see if it sings. That'll put your questions about the flute to rest. Then ask one of them for lessons.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I know Grey but am not familiar with Mike Casey, who's he?

-Brett
Last edited by Bretton on Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glauber

Post by glauber »

jerball wrote:Grey Larson lives in your neck of the woods. So does Mike Casey. Ask one of them to play your flute and see if it sings. That'll put your questions about the flute to rest. Then ask one of them for lessons.
This is always good advice, but since this is an Olwell, it probably sings, unless awful things have been done to it. But this is not fair! I want to have lessons with Grey Larson! :)
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
jerball

Post by jerball »

Mike Casey works at the Archives of Traditional Music at Indiana University. He's a brilliant flute player who sometimes assists Mike Rafferty in his flute classes. He's very knowledgeable about the East Galway style of playing. And he's just a swell guy. If you frequent the session scene in Bloomington he'll probably be around. Ask for either him or Kara Lochridge, who can put you in touch with him. If you don't have any luck, PM me and I'll give you Kara's email address. You may also be able to find Mike's email through IU.

Cheers,

Jeremy
msheldon

Re: Should my flute be hard to play ?

Post by msheldon »

Gordon wrote:
Bretton wrote:

I don't seem to be getting any better at it...
!

-Brett

I think I've found your problem...

Gordon
Agreed. I was doing the same thing for a long time. It wasn't until I decided to get serious, and spend at least a couple hours a week that things started improving. Preferably, I spend at least 30-60 minutes/day. Even so, it will take a while, and there will be a few epiphanies along the way as you suddenly figure out how to improve your embouchure, forget it, then discover it again. :)

Lower flutes tend to be easier, though getting solid notes from the low end can initially be a challenge.
Michael Sheldon
Outside of a dog, a man's best friend is a good book.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
jerball

Post by jerball »

Oh, and I'll harp on one of my favorite topics. Evaluate how you interact with your instrument. In my opinion, a couple of months of Alexander Technique lessons is worth years of slogging at it with bad postural habits. Your playing will improve rapidly and it'll be more fun. That has to do not only with whether you're "sitting up straight" but also with how you hold your head when you play. Keeping your neck and head free, easy and natural will improve your embouchure and tone tremendously. Trying to work on a tight embouchure and getting a huge repitoire while you're still interacting poorly with your instrument is like trying to learn how to pop wheelies before you know how to ride a bike. Sure, you'd eventually pick up how to ride a bike, but you'd probably hurt yourself along the way and it'd be really frustrating. Wouldn't it be smarter to start with the basics? Evaluating your interaction with the instrument (or, better yet, having someone else help you with it) is always my first suggestion when someone is struggling with tone or breathlessness.
Bretton

Post by Bretton »

Thanks for all the comments! I will endeavor to spend more quality time with my flute, and maybe get an F or D to try in the near future.

-Brett :party:
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Teaching your body to do something takes frequency. 15-20 minutes each day and your embouchure will come around. That plus lessons and you'll be cooking like Emeril on that flute. It's time to kick it up a notch.
BAM!
Aaron
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Music students are told not to play less than 3 hours a day. Otherwise, you wont be going anywhere. BUt I think starting off slow is the way to go. Stretch those muscles and all!
madfifer9

Loooooooong Toooooooooooones

Post by madfifer9 »

Playing long tones helped me immensely. Especially on the fife at first, and then later on the flute (takes a LOT of air to fill that thing up!)

By the way, Bretton, it is possible that the reason you can't play the higher notes is that the fingerings are different. Is a Bb Olwell really just like a fife, glauber, including the fingerings?

madfifer9
When whistles are outlawed, only outlaws will have whistles!