What is THE flute tutorial?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Eldarion
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Eldarion »

I just received my MadforTrad flute tutorial. It seems average, though the video clips of Seamus Egan playing give some added value.

I'm disappointed in a few areas for this tutorial. Firstly, it doesn't really teach much on breathing methods and how to develop a good diaphram - despite Seamus emphasizing a few times that it is extremely important to have good breathing with good embouchure.

Secondly, it doesn't cover staccato triplets - although Seamus Egan is one of the few flautists who actually use this in their playing.

Thirdly, everything they cover on fingerwork is very basic. Almost all the ornaments would be covered in a decent whistle tutorial. Nothing special is discussed, which is ironic, considering that Seamus Egan does all these unique ornaments pretty often.

The selection of tunes is also similiar to that of the Brian Finnegan whistle tutorial so if you got that as well (like I do), you'll find lotsa overlaps in tunes.