Worst Nightmare

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jerball
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Worst Nightmare

Post by jerball »

My worst nightmare has come true. Last night I opened the flute case and there was... yep, a crack. I've loved this flute and taken care of it. D@mn!

So, I'm going to get it expertly repaired by a wooden flute maker I know, but my question is this: what are your theories on how even a repaired crack can effect the sound of a flute? Again I say, d@amn and double d@mn.
sturob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by sturob »

Details! What kind of flute, what timber, etc. And, how old is it?

That's awful.

Whether or not it affects the sound really depends on where the crack is.

But it's doubtful it will affect the sound at all unless it's through the embouchure.

Stuart
jerball

Post by jerball »

I don't want to say the maker because I really don't want to give out the impression that his flutes are prone to cracking. They're not, from what I understand.

Maybe it was the change in climate, as the flute was recently delivered to me (it wasn't new, just new to me; it's a couple years old - and, no, the crack wasn't there when I got it and there were no signs of a crack forming - I got it from someone I know and trust) or maybe just a freak grain in the wood. Maybe there was some voodoo that I should have performed to protect the wood. Who knows.

It is a Pratten style and made by an extremely reputable modern maker. It's blackwood. The crack is small and in the headjoint, but not through the embouchure. I'm sure it'll be fine; it still sounded perfectly normal when I tried it out, and, as I said, I'll have it fixed by an expert craftsman. It's just a real downer, you know. It's my first crack.

I'm trying to take kindof' a Zen approach to it. It's just an instrument. I know that sounds crazy and I love my instruments. I dreamt about the thing all last night. But, again, it's just a thing. And it's meant to be played, not preserved like something in a museum. If that means it gets a few dings along the way, so be it. I'm still going to play the holy hell out of it - once it's fixed.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Ouch! :(

My condolences.

Doc
glauber

Post by glauber »

I've cracked my favourite wooden headjoint once, out of sheer stoopidity. The maker was able to repair it and i can barely tell where the crack is (if i didn't know it was there i wouldn't be able to find it), and there's been no detrimental effect to the sound.

So don't worry too much, send it back to be fixed, it will be ok. There's an added bonus that, now that it's cracked, it may have released all the tension it had to release, and may not crack anymore.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

Since the crack does not go through the embouchure hole, there should not be any difference at all in the sound once it is repaired.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Pan

Post by Pan »

jerball wrote:I'm trying to take kindof' a Zen approach to it. It's just an instrument. I know that sounds crazy and I love my instruments. I dreamt about the thing all last night. But, again, it's just a thing. And it's meant to be played, not preserved like something in a museum. If that means it gets a few dings along the way, so be it. I'm still going to play the holy hell out of it - once it's fixed.
That´s the right attitude if you ask me :)

I use to bring my Martin D16, Lowden O23, Copeland Sterlings (sold) Abell´s and Rose whistles wherever I go. In the trunk of my car or where they fit. Play where ever I feel like playing them. It would be plain insanity IMHO to use these instruments only at home. They should be used whenever I want otherwise there´s no meaning in having them.

If something crack, gets a scratch or get stolen... so be it, it´s just some pieces of wood... really. IMO it´s "unhealthy" in the long run to be paranoid about some toys. It´s funny how people often care more about their car and guitar than about themselfs and their close ones....

/Peter
cocusflute

Irrelevance of cracks

Post by cocusflute »

Not to worry. The worst thing about a crack is the way it looks. I've had cracks on many an antique flute -- and on some modern flutes as well. Any crack can be repaired to the point of being nearly invisible. Even when the crack ran through the embouchure hole, the repair didn't affect the sound at all. Have the flute repaired and don't worry about the crack. Think about it as a ding on a new car. Unsightly perhaps but seldom functional. If you don't want to accept the risk of having a wooden flute develop a crack then perhaps you should buy a plastic flute.
A wooden flute player should have a hygrometer in two places: where the flute is kept and where the flute is played. Makers are very aware of the climate in their shops. There is no reason why players should not also be aware of, and sensitive to, even minor changes in humidity.
What you should examine now is why the flute cracked. Did the flute see extreme heat or abrupt changes in humidity? Was it left in a hot car too long? IMHO, wiping every last bit of moisture out of the flute after playing is inadvisable. There are two reasons not to be overly fastidious when the session is over. In the first place you are taking the flute out of the moist environment of your breath and putting it back into the dry climate of the case, with no moisture in the barrel to slow down the subsequent dessication (awful word) and shrinkage. Second, when you wipe the barrel with a dry cloth you are stripping oil out of the barrel every time you wipe. IMHO the best thing to do after a session is to run an oily rag through the bore, thus spreading the moisture evenly without drying out the flute, and thereby spreading some oil throughout the barrel.
I think that if a flute is played every day, wiped out as above and kept in its case, then it will not crack. OTH, I keep two flutes in my car and play them (never at the same time) at stop lights and especially when I'm cruising at over 90 MPH. I have one Olwell F bamboo and one Sweet which I suspect is made out of an old bannister. They've been in the car for a year or so and I'm sure they've been subjected to horrible conditions in summer and winter-- extremes of heat, cold, and humidity. They're both still fine, even though at the end of a day in the sun it is positively hot when I pick one up. I oil them infrequently but play them regularly. Go figure....
mrosenlof

Post by mrosenlof »

I'm curious - does the flute in question have a metal lined headjoint?

I have one relatively inexpensive wood flute - a Rosewood G fife by Ralph Sweet that I somewhat intentionally abuse just to get a feel for what might cause the thing to crack. This flute has no metal anywhere like slide or rings, or lining, but I guess shrinking wood could crack around the cork?? I don't play it a lot, don't humidify it, don't swab it after the occasional times I do play the thing. No problems yet. I've had it about 3 years (bought it used) and oil occasionally. FWIW.
jerball

Post by jerball »

Nope. Unlined head. Must be karmic retribution. Good to hear everyone say that a crack is not the worst thing in the world.
Pan

Post by Pan »

The good thing about a scratch/crack/mark or whatever on your flute/guitar/car is that you tend to become more relaxed and stopp worry so much :)

The first year with a new car is really hard on the nerves :) after some small scratches, rust and whatever, you (I) don´t care much if someone at the parkinglot makes another small mark.

Things are to be used for what they are meant, not to be worshipped and placed upon a altar... all IMHO of course. :D

/Peter
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

jerball wrote: Good to hear everyone say that a crack is not the worst thing in the world.
Having your flute stolen is the worst thing that can happen in your (flute) world.

Loren
jerball

Post by jerball »

Getting drunk, having no idea what happened to my flute, and waking up next to a bodhran would be the worst thing in my flute world. Especially because my wife would probably leave me for a piano accordion player.
sturob

Post by sturob »

jerball wrote:Nope. Unlined head. Must be karmic retribution.
No no no, don't be so hard on yourself.

It's just a mark on the side of those who think the lining is NOT a major contributor in headjoint cracking.

;)

Stuart
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Loren wrote: Having your flute stolen is the worst thing that can happen in your (flute) world.

Loren
Or dropping it into a wood chipper.

Shades of Fargo, by gosh.