Cavallaro flute rolls

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
beowulf573
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Cavallaro flute rolls

Post by beowulf573 »

Does anyone have a Cavallaro flute roll? Happy with it?

http://www.leecollins.com/rolls.htm

Hammie Hamilton offers them with his flutes, so I assume there are of at least decent quality. It looks like the Baroque Flute one would fit my Copley nicely.

thanks,
Eddie
carrie

Post by carrie »

I have several, *very* happy with them.

Carol
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gordon »

I have one (with my Hammy) and they work very well. Great for taking out to sessions, etc. Be advised, though, I don't think they work as well with keyed flutes (less protection for the hard-ware), and I also miss clicking a case open and seeing a disassembled flute -- a small, aesthetic complaint, as the roll is really an ideal way to store and carry a flute (encased in faux lambs-wool and inside a nylon outside that aids in retaining moisture, without sealing it, and very weather-and-temp resistant, like a little tight polar sleeping bag for your flute.)
Hammy seems to have a deal with Cavallaro, or bought them in bulk, so the cost is lower than buying directly from the Cavallaro website itself.
Gordon
Steven

Post by Steven »

I have one of the 4-slot rolls (not sure which one, but probably the Baroque Flute one) that I use with my Copley keyless, and it's great. Also, I have used it with my antique German 6-key flute, and it works just fine for that too. Sure, it doesn't provide the same protection as a hard case, but as long as you're not slinging it around or throwing it on the table, it does the trick.

So yes, I would recommend these cases.

:-)
Steven
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Thanks for the responses, I'll probably order one later today.

Eddie
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

For an extra measure of protection (and some extra $$$) you can also order one of her large rectangular flute cases that is meant to cover a hard flute case. Then you can put the flute roll inside that, with room for cleaning swabs, cork grease, aspirin, address books, etc. (there's an outside zip pocket).

I used this approach for years with my old German 8-keyed flute and it worked great. The case is too short to fit a Pratten-style flute (with a one-piece middle), however.
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

Do you know which model you have? She has several listed.

I'll probably just stick with the backpack I currently use, I can fit my flute, whistle, palm pilot, cell phone, keys, notebook, granola bar and on occasion a ferret :D with a little room to spare.

Eddie
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

It looks kind of like the one at the very bottom of this page:

http://www.cavallarocasecovers.com/pric ... hor1066416

But I don't know if she makes mine anymore. The dimensions on mine are about 15" long by 8" wide, by 3" deep.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I use the Cavallero roll with my Copley keyless
when taking it to gigs, etc. Works great.
Very pleased with it. I wouldn't store the
flute in it for long periods, because
there's no way to humidify.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Jim,

Lots of players I know, and I myself, keep a little humidifier in the case. The one I use is actually meant for guitars, I think. It's a little plastic can with clay-ey stuff inside; you soak the clay, then put the top on the can. The humidity comes through little holes in the top. You can stick the can in at the top of one of the compartments in the case, and there's no need to worry about leaking.

Carol
BillG

Post by BillG »

Those of you using the bag for the Copley flute, what are the dimensions of your bag/s? I have one that is almost 15 inches long and the parts almost get lost in the sleeves.

thanx, BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
beowulf573

Post by beowulf573 »

A quick followup, the flute roll arrived in the mail today and it's a great fit for the Copley.

For those who are thinking of getting one, I bought model <a href="http://www.cavallarocasecovers.com/pric ... ">72AR2</a>,

ALTO W/2 CORPS RECORDER ROLL
(4 slots) 12" tall x 12" wide;
(plus 1 swab slot) each slot 2.5 to 3" wide

Eddie