Dixon Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
bgull
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bgull »

I got my Dixon polymer flute from The Whistle Shop on Monday (Thanks for the great service Thom). This is my first "real" flute - I decided to get it after playing the flute head on my Dixon low D "Duo" for a bit - what a clever way to market his flutes BTW, he intriques us with the flute head on the whistle and then we *have* to go all the way and get his flute;) Anyway, here are my comments...The build quality is pretty good, the finish is smooth and pleasing to the touch - fingering is comfortable as the finger holes have a *slight* bevel to them. After I have spent a bit of time trying to play the flute, I have to say that, when I can manage it - the fault of my horrible technique, not the flute - it sounds pretty nice. The tone is mellow, but powerful - it sounds nice played softly or hard. I am surprised how much the player has to do with getting a good tone, though. I've been trying to check the tuning, but my technique is so spotty that the tone wavers quite a bit. Ah well, I'm having fun anyway!
Tom

Post by Tom »

I also just got the same flute.do you move any of the 3 parts around at all or do you keep them in perfect line,I find I can cover the holes better if I move the 3rd part in toward my body a little bit.
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

Sounds like a conspiracy.... I also just received this flute and am very pleased with it. After trying both a Seery and M&E, I am able to get much better all around sound from the Dixon. There is suprisingly little discussion about this flute on the board, but for me this is the polymer to have. I got it on JessieK's recommendation...thanks, Jessie!
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

You're welcome!

:smile: Jessie
KelticRazor

Post by KelticRazor »

Hey Everyone,

Does the Dixon Flute work well for small hands as well?

Thanks,

--KR
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

I too, got a 3 piece Dixon polymer for Christmas.

I love it, I'd played a couple of them at HMTrad; but, this one became available used (4 weeks old) from a piper in the our area. I actually got to pick it up from the owner a week before Christmas, only to have my wife scoop it up upon arriving home anouncing, "Its not Christmas yet." "But honey, its so..." to which I got "The Look". I tried the protruding lower lip pout as a visual whine, all was to no avail. She called the ordeal a pre-christmas gift: virtue by way of patience building.

I finally got to play it on Christmas. It has a wonderfull tone, closer to husky irish wood flute sound than the clear silver flute. First time to the lips, I was able to get a smoothe and stable tone through 2 octaves. I'm still learning embrochure so I'll need some practice to become consistent with playing it. Jessie's recommendation was much appreciated in weighing the differences between Dixon, Seery, and M&E.

I had a vacation day on Wednesday, that gave me time to make a temporary suede pouch for it. This will be an inner liner for the full, carved leather case I make latter. Pre-christmas virtue building has left me with no patience to wait 'til I get home to play. The suede will let me keep the flute in my backpack for the daily commute.

I expect the smaller holes would be easier to control by folks with small hand. I have short fingers, but fairly wide palms. I find the play is fine for my hands.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LeeMarsh on 2001-12-27 15:07 ]</font>
griff

Post by griff »

OK, you guys. I've been lurking around here for a while and thinking of trying the flute. I had been looking at the Dixon flutes for a while, but wasn't sure. I'm a total beginner (I've played the whistle for a year or so), so I don't want to sink too much money into this at first. After reading some of this high praise, however, I just ordered a Dixon 3-piece with the Whistle Shop. Now I just have to wait for the package...Wait! Was that the UPS truck? Oh, not yet.
seamus clark

Post by seamus clark »

I have one of dixons 3-piece ebony flutes.
I really like the sound,responsivness and
overall worksmanship, only downside is, it's
ebony/new ebony and I have to refrain from
playing the living crap out of before it gets
properly broken in ( oil inside/out with almond oil once a week for a month). I have tried the polymer 3-piece dixon and like it as well- and the polymer flute does not require the tedious break-in period.
happy fluting
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

My Dixon low D duo arrived yesterday... The whistle configuration is sweet. It plays far nicer than my Susato, both in sound and finger stretch. But, I can't get a note out of the flute head. I tried playing a metal flute (years ago) without problem.

Any suggestions ?
DanD

Post by DanD »

Keep trying!! It's easier to get a sound if you start with G or A - starting with low D is unnecessarily frustrating. I bought the flute portion of the duo because it was a cheap way to try out a flute, and because it was so easy to get a tone out of. So it can be done!
For more (and no doubt better!) advice, search the archives - you might start here:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 34&forum=2
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Thanks for the link Dan, I'll give it a try!
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I have to say thanks to all of you on this post. This post was the main reason that I ordered the Dixon Polymer 3 piece. I am really impressed. This is so easy to play that I'm actually kind of frustrated that I didn't get this earlier. I have been doing scales and excercises for about a year and a half, failing in all my attempts to get just one song down. Switching from left hand to right hand made it nearly impossible to be consistant and made trying to reach the upper octave scary on my Left-handed Bamboo flute. I was so relieved to pull this out of the box and see the larger chimney height on the opposite side of the embouchure hole. It's actually right-handed

This flute is great and will keep me very busy learning actual tunes while I waite for my Copley in May.

Thanks everyone! Thanks Jessie :smile:

Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy! :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2002-02-09 10:15 ]</font>
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

2 month update:

I've had my Dixon 3 piece polymer for about 2 months now. I like it more now than when I first got it (see above post). I realy like the tone. It's giving me a lot of fun learning all the differnt timbres(sp?) or textures I can get from it. I've been playing with both a smooth clear tone and trying to mix that with the more resonate throaty tone you can hear from some Irish Flutes. Sorry, I can explain the different textures better.

The small holes are relief for the most part because they make it easier to get good seals. This is especially nice since most of my concentration is on the embrouchure. I'm sure eventually, I'll want a larger finger hole flute for greater flexibility with finger ornaments; but, for now the dixon is great.

I'd highly recommend this flute for the beginning flute player.

I'd also again like to thank Jesse on her great review and comments about the tone character of the Dixon.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

I attended a flute workshop and my instructor said it sounded out of tune and pulled the head out about an inch to where half the cork was showing. Has anyone found these to be slightly off tune?

-Craig
Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I'm thinking about buying a Dixon 3-piece polyment flute. Two questions--how well do forked fingerings work for chromatic notes; and what range can players get (that is, can it get into the third octave). I'm a total beginner and want to supplement my recorder playing.