Flutemaker Recommendations?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Reeded_Goat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Reeded_Goat »

I'm looking to get a good flute...no keys and in D. Any suggestions? I've heard great things about Bryan Byrne, but have no knowledge beyond that. I am a piper and have never played flute before.
Thanks ahead of time.
RG
livethe question

Post by livethe question »

RG,

I'm a rank, rank beginner on the flute but I had (still have) some of the trouble you describ. I have an M&E Eflat. I finally figured out it was me. Some of the notes seemed very flat but as I practiced and was able to use my breathe in a more focused and controlled manner, that problem begin to disappear. Again this is just one beginners experience with the only flute I've really put any time in to trying to play.
Peace

Namasté

jim
gcollins

Post by gcollins »

Man, that's a big question! There are so many opinions on this one.

But what I write here will all be personal opinion, but most of the flute players here would agree with some of it at least....

If you're willing to wait a year for one of the best keyless flutes..Olwell, Grinter, McGee, Wilkes. These flutes are the most sought after.

If I were to buy a flute right now, I'd buy it from Peter Noy. http://www.noyflutes.com. I'm very very impressed with his contemporary headjoint and tone and responsiveness of the flutes. Awesome.

There are other really good ones out there...Hammy Hamilton, George Ormiston. Check out the http://www.woodenflute.com site for more info.

Actually, you can buy an awesome Olwell bamboo flute for about USD 72, while you're on a waiting list. If you need a blackwood flute now, like because you can't sleep at night thinking about it...Casey Burns, Skip Healy have no waiting list.

All these guys have websites. A simple search will get you there easily. Only Patrick Olwell does not have a website.

Have fun and I hope you can sleep.
DrGiggles

Post by DrGiggles »

You mentioned that you've never played a flute before. If you know that you're gonna love it, and want to spend $600+ on a Keyless D, then the many of the flutes mentioned above would be wonderful.

If you don't want to wait the time to get a new one, I would recommend getting a used flute from a reputable source.

However, if you don't want to spend $600+, then I would recommend the Dixon Polymer. It's about $200, and a pretty decent flute for the money - a really good value.

My 2 cents,
Frank
Flute Girl

Post by Flute Girl »

RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

I recently sold a 6-key Cotter flute that I was extremely impressed with. Exceptional flute with awesome tone and response. It had a solid Pratten-style body, but with a Rudall & Rose bore. The block-mounts were actually similar to the style used by Sam Murray on his flutes, but the key work and salt-spoon design were definitely Rudall-like. The case wasn't that great, but you don't play the case!
Seery also makes a keyless wood flute that a fellow at one of the sessions here plays and I was impressed with that, too. Nice, nice flute.
I liked Noy flutes, too. He's not a well-known maker, but when I visited him in Toronto a few years back when he lived there (he's in Seattle now), I was impressed. Nice work.
As was mentioned by Greg Collins, this is a HUGE debatable topic. One person loves one flutemaker while another loves a different one. As you make your way through them, you'll find your own preference.
I prefer vintage flutes over modern-made ones, although my Rudall has an Olwell headpiece. That's just me since it suits me so well.
Good luck choosing a flute! It's gonna be one awesome, and life-long, journey!
jdavis

Post by jdavis »

My new Copley flute arrived last week. I am really happy with both the flute and the service.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Hi All,

Steve Power at http://www.shannaquay.com has some Desi Seery keyless flutes available in limited stock. These flutes play really well, for example Tom Doorley from Danú plays one!!!

The price is right and they last forever :smile:

All the best,

Patrick.