Ormiston vs. Copeland flute opinions?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

I'm seriously considering acquiring an 8-key Ormiston flute, was wondering what others thought of them.

I'm currently playing an older keyless Copeland, a lovely instrument, but having a fully keyed instrument is sounding more and more attractive.

Has anyone played both a Copeland and an Ormiston who could give me some sense of how they compare. My current Copeland requires a good bit of air to really sing, the first octave C# takes a bit of attention to keep it from playing flat, other than that its a very nice and loud instrument.

Cheers and thanks for any help!

Michael Eskin
http://www.michaeleskin.com
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

Michael, there was a rather good thread lately over on the woodenflute list about this very thing. You might want to check the archive there for it for opinions and answers from that side of the web. I'll not render an opinion for obvious reasons :smile:
croberts

Post by croberts »

Hi Michael,

I have a 6 key Ormiston (D foot rather then a C). I'll be happy to try out the Copeland if you want to mail it to me. :wink:

Just kidding of course. However if you are in North Carolina any time soon, let me know and you can try out the Ormiston.

Chris Roberts
Otter

Post by Otter »

Hi Michael,

I also have a Ormiston/keyless/blackwood, and I am growing fonder of it each time I play it.
I am by no means an experienced player nor have I played a Copeland or any other "major" makers for that matter.
The point is I am not looking for any other flute because I just love my Ormiston.
Now if I could only improve my C natural ...

but that has nothing to do with the flute.

Sibyle
Otter

Post by Otter »

....Never mind ...
actually, my previous post is totally irrelevant since you are all talking about a 6 or 8 keys flute and mine is keyless

I just saw the name Ormiston and got all carried away.

sorry for wasting your time
Sibyle