Flute cleaning

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
crickett
antispam: No

Flute cleaning

Post by crickett »

I bought a used flute that arrived with lots of gunk (some of it green!) in the headjoint. The flute also smells musty and kind of disgusting. I have done what I can with rags and q-tips, but I would like to pull the stopper out and somehow really clean the thing. It is blackwood and keyless with a tuning slide (half-lined headjoint). Does anyone with experience restoring flutes have any advice about what I could use to clean this thing, that will not damage the wood?
Tradman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ready to be a decent flute player again! I took a break of about 17 years and it's been way too long.

Re: Flute cleaning

Post by Tradman »

You may want to see if the maker can accept it and clean it well for you for a nominal fee. Blayne Chastain of the IrishFluteStore has an excellent video on care for flutes but does not reach to the level of yuck you're describing. If you cannot determine the maker, or the maker has passed away, or is too far away, perhaps you can reach out to another well established maker for a good cleaning and shakedown. I think the biggest concern is removing the end cork and then replacing it back in it's optimal position.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL5KWcDMMBA
Latticino
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Flute cleaning

Post by Latticino »

I've cleaned and repaired a couple of old flutes, but am by no means an expert. However there are a couple of clarifications you might want to make if you want to get better advice:

1. Is the "green gunk" you are seeing on the wood itself, or the metal tuning slide? If the latter it is likely oxidation of the brass or German silver metal. This can be cleaned off either mechanically (with abrasives like steel wool) or chemically (Brasso or similar). If the former it might be mold, and I would consider giving it a nice rub down with isopropyl alcohol then reoiling the wood with your favorite bore oil.

2. Before you pull the stopper I would recommend you measure the current position of same. I use a wooden dowel that fits inside the headjoint for this. Remove the head from the body and put the dowel inside the head resting on the inner face of the cork. Mark the dowel at the center point of the embouchure (typically somewhere between 18 and 21 mm depending on the flute). Then you can hold the headjoint and lightly tap the protruding end of the dowel on a table to release the cork. Don't forget to remove any crown first. Also, don't be afraid to replace the cork if it is old, dried out, damaged or moldy. Wine bottle corks can easily be sanded down to suit.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it"
Steven Wright

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever."
Baron Munchausen