Aulos Stanesby Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
fsharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

Aulos Stanesby Flute

Post by fsharp »

Evening all, I just purchased an Aulos Stanesby flute, and I'm having difficulty fingering the f natural and f sharp to make the difference in pitch noticeable, whichever fingering I use, there is minimal difference between the two notes. I have played all sorts of flutes including a Folkers and Powell Denner copy so I have some experience with forked fingering. Solutions anyone? Thanks.
"is it about a bicycle"?
Ronk
Tell us something.: I enjoy playing flutes & whistles. C&F is a great place to learn more about both. It is interesting to find out more about makers, history, techniques and making music with these instruments.

Re: Aulos Stanesby Flute

Post by Ronk »

I am no expert but am working on playing baroque flutes (I own a couple of 3D printed flutes from Jeff Wulf). For the forked finger Fnat try blowing a bit more softly and image pronouncing the sound 'ang'. That's from Doretthe Janssens' book, "New !Method for the Traverso"
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I was a Baroque Flute Major for a time in Uni, yes there's only one fingerhole for F natural and F sharp.

It plays around halfway between the two notes.

For an in-tune F sharp you finger xxx|xoo and open the D# key and roll the flute out to bring up the pitch.

For an in-tune F natural you finger xxx|xox and roll the flute in to bring down the pitch.

If you're after using a Baroque flute fulltime for Irish music, and don't mind alterations, you can carve out the F hole to make an in-tune F# with normal blowing.

Other than F# a Baroque flute works fine with Irish flute fingerings, it just has the wrong tone for ITM.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fsharp
Tell us something.: Playing flute for about 20 years... however, recently, due to surgery on my right hand I find it difficult to cover the holes in a flute, so, apart from a Boehm instrument, I'm not playing.
"that's Alright, I still have my guitar"
I still have a great interest in ITM

Post by fsharp »

Thank you for those ideas!, I'll certainly give them a go. I'm not using the Stanesby for ITM, just to maybe have a go at some Hotteterre, leclair etc. I find it hard nowadays to cover the bigger holes on an "Irish" flute due to having had hand surgery, so I thought I'd do better with the smaller traverso holes. I'll give it a couple of months, then, if no joy, back to my Boehm system! Thanks again.
"is it about a bicycle"?
fintano
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Post by fintano »

In Janice Dockendorff Boland's book, she cites Quantz as recommending the F# fingering

x x x | o x x K

for use in the key of A because

x x x | x o o K

is too flat relative to G#. Quantz seems to have been very sensitive to such issues. I guess the point is that it's more noticeable when there's a G# in the context.

What pancelticpiper says is I think true for any Baroque flute--both F natural and F# must be adjusted. JDB and Quantz also agree on this point.

My experience with the Stanesby is that you have to adjust a lot more in the first octave. The second octave is much better behaved.

I notice that the fingering chart that comes with the instrument doesn't suggest using the D# key for the usual F# fingering. I found the difference to be minimal. But perhaps this varies with the player.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

fintano wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:42 am In Janice Dockendorff Boland's book, she cites Quantz as recommending the F# fingering
x x x | o x x K
Right, that's the sharper Baroque F# fingering. They were into all that enharmonic stuff then.

I didn't go into that because the OP was talking about using a Baroque flute for Irish trad (which I assumed meant using the standard Irish trad woodwind fingerings).
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Playing the baroque flute in tune is all about lipping. The embouchure needs to be small but VERY flexible. Pancelt's advice about rolling the flute is good, as is the alternate fingering from Fintano. After years of playing, I do all the adjustment of the attack angle by directing the airstream rather than moving the flute. An additional way of practicing is to play with a tone generator. Practice long tones with a note a fifth above or below and try to make the note you play sound as natural as possible next to the drone note.

The Stanesby Jr is a very nice inexpensive baroque flute. That and a Copley Delrin are my travel flutes.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.