Wobbly embouchure due to sweating (and how to deal with it?)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
siri
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a Boehm flute and recorder player of many years and got hooked on Irish music during the pandemic.

Wobbly embouchure due to sweating (and how to deal with it?)

Post by siri »

I am interested in how you all are dealing with perspiration at the embouchure of the flute. It's slowly getting warmer here again and in summer I often find that I start sweating and the flute slips away. I then regularly wipe my chin on a handkerchief or my shoulder, but perhaps there are a few more tips here?
I've been playing Boehm flute for a long time, and one tip from professionals is to stick pieces of rubberized stamps to the embouchure. Plasters are also used for this purpose. I tried the latter on my M&E Polymer, but unfortunately a little bit of finish came off when I removed it. This is only a cosmetic problem, but since then I've been hesitant to try anything else that sticks. I don't have these concerns with my Shannon, which doesn't have the varnish-like finish of the M&E. So if anyone likes to share some more ideas, I'd be happy.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Re: Wobbly embouchure due to sweating (and how to deal with it?)

Post by flutefry »

For years, I had the same problem your report, especially when nervous.

I am a cyclist. Handlebar tape usually comes with double-sided sticky tape underneath to keep the tape from slipping over time. The outer surface is slightly textured to keep sweaty hands from slipping. So I cut a small piece of handlebar tape and place it so that the region under my lower lip contacts the tape, and my flute sits on my chin stably in all conditions.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

I don't have that problem but two possible solutions spring to mind. If you're a guy and don't have one already, maybe grow a beard for a less slippery contact point under your lip? Or at least a soul patch. :D I have a beard, not a very full one but maybe enough under my lower lip that I haven't had this problem. IIRC, there was a discussion years ago here on C&F about the merits of beards for male flute players.

Another idea: I always rub a little cork wax around the embouchure hole after playing, to prevent that dried-out area in the wood that develops from mouth contact. Every couple of weeks I also apply a very light coat of wax on the entire outside body, to protect the finish and (possibly) help prevent cracking. It also helps keep my right thumb tip from slipping against the body of the flute using a three-point hold. Maybe a slightly heavier coat of cork wax applied under the embouchure hole would help prevent slipping? The wax I use is D'Addario "all natural" cork grease so it shouldn't cause any allergy problems.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Conical bore wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:28 am I don't have that problem but two possible solutions spring to mind. If you're a guy and don't have one already, maybe grow a beard for a less slippery contact point under your lip? Or at least a soul patch. :D I have a beard, not a very full one but maybe enough under my lower lip that I haven't had this problem. IIRC, there was a discussion years ago here on C&F about the merits of beards for male flute players.
Ah, the old patented flute beard post! https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic.php?t=23665

Those were the days when women were proud to flaunt a full flute beard, but alas those days are gone and most if not all of the images are gone from the posting, too. I find my flute slips more with my beard than without it...the skin contact was better for me, but my flute playing has definitely improved (although my wife alleges that is due to more practicing not my facial hair. What does she know...she only plays the stereo?).

Cloth medical tape can work, too, and is gentle on things to pull off.

Eric
siri
Tell us something.: I am a Boehm flute and recorder player of many years and got hooked on Irish music during the pandemic.

Post by siri »

Thanks everyone for sharing. I'll definitely try out a few of these things, handlebar tape and medical tape being top of the list, I guess. Don't know about the cork wax, though as I need to restock on some cork grease anyways, I might just look into that one, too.
(Me not being a guy, I'll have to skip the thing with the facial hair, though my husband says there's some hair growing on my chin since the past couple years... alas).
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I generally wear a beard in the winter but not the summer. Like others, I feel that the beard definitely helps the flute from sliding on my lower lip. But I can't stand having a beard in the hot humid mid-Atlantic summer. So I wear a soul patch year round. Keeps the rest of my face from sweating in the summer while still stabilizing the flute.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.