Tipple flute with or without lip plate

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Tipple flute with or without lip plate

Post by stiofan »

I'm considering ordering a Tipple flute for a backup/no-maintenance flute, but just heard from Doug that he's no longer offering the lip plate option. Has anyone compared the lip-plate 'model' to the one without it? I'm inclined to believe that the extra chimney height would give a PVC flute improved/stronger tone in the lower end, so I'm thinking about whether or not to look for a used Tipple with the lip plate vs. ordering a new one without. The suggestions on Doug's site for the standard no-lip plate version seem to be oriented more for beginners (which I'm not), so I'm mulling it over. Whaddya think?

https://tippleflutes.com/optional-lip-plate-headjoint/

stiofan
stiofan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Tipple flute with or without lip plate

Post by stiofan »

I've been in touch with Doug, who's suggesting that the standard version without the lip plate plays well for both beginner and experienced players through 2+ octaves, so I'll defer to his opinion, especially since this would just be a low-cost flute I'd take with me where I wouldn't tote my wooden flutes. I had a Tipple years ago when I was first learning to play, but must've passed it on when I began playing wooden flutes.