Carbony High D flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
hammerwoman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m back. After a couple of decades of arguing with the harp, it is finally clear to me that the issue is that my two hands are arguing with each other across my poor wee corpus callosum, and that I need to forget my childhood grudge against those (wind) instruments I could play like breathing and go ahead and just play them.

Carbony High D flute?

Post by hammerwoman »

Hello all, does anyone have experience with the Carbony High D flute? Or lacking that, know of someone that is currently making a delrin, composite, or other un-keyed, non-wood, conical-bore piccolo?
hammerwoman
Tell us something.: I’m back. After a couple of decades of arguing with the harp, it is finally clear to me that the issue is that my two hands are arguing with each other across my poor wee corpus callosum, and that I need to forget my childhood grudge against those (wind) instruments I could play like breathing and go ahead and just play them.

Re: Carbony High D flute?

Post by hammerwoman »

Somebody posted a helpful reply, that seemed to disappear?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

That was me...there is something weird with the board not liking what I want to post when I tried to edit it. Tried PM'ing and that didn't work, either. Maybe you can PM me and I can PM you back?

Ha...copying to an email and cutting and pasting from the email seemed to have worked. Weird.

Eric
Last edited by Jayhawk on Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

No experience with Carbonny's high D fife/flute, but I have a really nice Tipple High D flute/fife with Tipple-Fajardo Wedge that is cylindrical but a real nice player for folk music. Non-wooden options seem hard to find as are conical versions (but a reverse taper headjoint or wedge takes care of the tuning issues and with a piccolo sized body the finger holes are easy enough for a child to play).

Other non-wood options:

https://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/produc ... /piccolos/

https://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/p/d-fi ... um-2-piece

Wooden options include:

These guys: https://musiquemorneaux.com/contemporary-fifes/

I had one when they were Sweetheart flutes, and Jos took over the business (he had been working for Walt) when Walt Sr. passed. It was great...but I had a non-tunable version and moved on to the Tipple.

Finally, an option I have no experience with:

https://shop.fifeanddrumshop.com/c/ente ... -fifes-3pc

Eric
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I bought one of Jem the Flute’s (a member here) many years ago and still love it. Not sure if he still makes them, but wouldn’t hurt to ask. It’s cylindrical, not conical, but it plays incredibly well!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

And I have a blackwood (not Delrin/other "plastic" but still nice) piccolo from Terry McGee that I would part with, should that be of any interest.

Jem's pics were quite nice but I think he did those for school programs or something on that order and stopped making them after the program ended.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
hammerwoman

Post by hammerwoman »

@steve
Steve Bliven wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:08 pm And I have a blackwood (not Delrin/other "plastic" but still nice) piccolo from Terry McGee that I would part with, should that be of any interest.

Steve
Oooh, I’m really thinking of something abuse-worthy, which one of Terry’s Blackwood piccolos really isn’t BUT. . . Um, I’ll PM you. . .

And FWIW, Florida has already banned my life. And me.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

hammerwoman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:06 pm I’ll PM you. . .

And FWIW, Florida has already banned my life. And me.
Responded to the PM. And congrats on your relationship with Florida.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
hammerwoman

Post by hammerwoman »

So, yes, I’ve now got one of Terry McGee’s lovely piccs on the way, but would still like to hear from folks that have experience with a delrin or carbon-fiber high-D flute/piccolo, meaning, a six-hole (or seven, if it’s got a C-nat port for the left thumb) tapered-bore thingummy. Not really interested in straight-gauge jobs. I still need something to take the place in my handbag of the Burke Session Brass D whistle that I mostly use to scratch my back these days.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Classy backscratcher...but backscratchers matter.
hammerwoman

Post by hammerwoman »

Jayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:33 am Classy backscratcher...but backscratchers matter.
It is Miss Elspeth, my small gray cat, who must be held accountable for what is surely a noble instrument to find itself in such reduced circumstances. She is quite devoted to the flute, and if she hasn’t accompanied me upstairs to my office for our formal morning practice, upon hearing me commence, she is certain to be knocking at the door in short order. Even as I am hurling myself, more or less unsuccessfully, at the upper reaches of a rather diabolical page of exercises titled, “Modes Ridiculous in Two Sharps,” Elspeth lies curled contentedly at my feet. If I so much as reach for the Burke, however, and play even a bar or two of, say, “Swallowtail Jig,” or something else quite low in the whistle’s range, she immediately gets up with the air of one much offended, and glares at me to be let out.

How she gets on with the piccolo, of course, remains to be seen.