Here's something that you can spend a ton of money on for no good reason

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kirk B
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Here's something that you can spend a ton of money on for no good reason

Post by Kirk B »

The topic of square tone holes came up on the sax forum and someone posted this.

https://squareoneflutes.com/flutes/

I can wait to hear Terry McGee's analysis of this. :lol: I'm think that the cost of a re-pad is going to be a real drag.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Here's something that you can spend a ton of money on for no good reason

Post by Nanohedron »

Considering that the open-hole keys have round holes, I have difficulty seeing the point.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:24 pm Considering that the open-hole keys have round holes, I have difficulty seeing the point.
And that the fingertips operating the said keys tend to be round as well.
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

The holes underneath do indeed appear to be square as well. It likely makes little difference to the sound produced and will be about visual aesthetics, but if I wanted something of that kind I'd prefer one with hexagonal holes and keys.
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

If I'm not mistaken, given a fixed perimeter a circle will have the maximum area. So I don't see the point in this either. Unless they're saying that a square tone hole will provide some other benefit than a circle with the same area.

And yeah, what Nano said about the open holes. That too.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

David Cooper wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:02 pm The holes underneath do indeed appear to be square as well. It likely makes little difference to the sound produced and will be about visual aesthetics ...
Apparently the design does indeed incorporate square toneholes. Mr. Lopatin confirms this:

https://squareoneflutes.com/about/

... but hasn't told us what difference, if any, it makes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spoke too soon; here we go:

https://squareoneflutes.com/pan-article-june-2007/

I leave it to the makers to make heads and tails of it. Way beyond my pay grade.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Kirk B

Post by Kirk B »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:44 pm
Spoke too soon; here we go:

https://squareoneflutes.com/pan-article-june-2007/

I leave it to the makers to make heads and tails of it. Way beyond my pay grade.
Same here. What he's saying sounds like it could make sense but I'm no acoustic engineer.
David Cooper
Tell us something.: I'm about to have a go at making wooden flutes based on a quena - I want to experiment with changing the hole sizes and locations to make one that's more comfortable to play. I just received an auger through the post today, and there are blown-down trees in the garden waiting to be repurposed, so I'll try to make a start on my first prototype at the weekend.

Post by David Cooper »

It does actually make sense, except that rectangular holes could be better still, with the ideal hole being a ring opening right round the entire tube. However, the bell note often seems to be the weakest one, even though it has what should be a perfect opening at the end, so there must be more to it. A good test for this though might be to make a flute/whistle with diamond shaped holes and an otherwise identical one with rectangular holes to maximise the differences, and I suspect it would prove him right, but there may be issues with the way sharp corners affect the air flow.

This has fed into another idea I was thinking about though where rectangular holes with the longer dimension running round the tube could be advantageous, but I've started a new thread about that called tuning slide revolution, and I've put that in the whistle subforum (even though it applies equally to flutes).
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by david_h »

If it allows him the engineer a bigger hole - with a key that seals and unseals as effectively as on a circular hole - I can see that ought to be an advantage. As for the rest "seems to make sense" is not enough for me. I'd need an analysis by a wind instrument acoustician. The effective length at the hole is well beyond the 'top' edge.

Do we know if James Galway has bought one yet?