Flute Crutch?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LI Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Flute Crutch?

Post by LI Whistler »

I have been playing whistle for a few years but also have bought an inexpensive (unkeyed) Dixon Flute. My problem is a left hand injury which prevents me from holding the flute properly. My question: is there any sort of shoulder rest which would support the flute head leaving my left hand to access the holes? I have watched one woman rest the flute head on her shoulder while she plays but this seems very limiting to me. Thoughts?
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Re: Flute Crutch?

Post by Moof »

Sounds like a weird question, but how much do you use your chin for support?

I'm a whistler rather than a fluter too, but I was surprised to discover that I needed to push the business end of the flute against my chin to get my bottom lip into position properly. And of course, pushing the flute into the curve between the lower lip and the jaw bone actually supports the head end quite well.

Like most right handed people, I play left hand on top. I found I was using my left as much to create this gentle but sustained pressure against my chin as to support the flute. I have quite severe hand impairment too, but I ended up thinking that if I stuck with it, I'd probably get to the point where I could do it comfortably enough.

I barely qualify even a as a novice, though, I'm sure experienced folk will be along with proper advice.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Sounds like you might benefit from some time with a flute instructor who could assess your issue and see what possibilities there are for getting a solid hold on the flute as well as allowing fingering. Doubt that it would matter whether the instructor was an Irish flute player or a Boehm/concert flute instructor at this point.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
paddler

Post by paddler »

You might also find it helpful to look up the pipers grip which has different contact points and uses the hands in a different position compared to more conventional ways of holding the flute.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

And you might find something here, in terms of holding the flute and blowing it, that might be of help: https://www.mcgee-flutes.com/Getting_th ... k_tone.htm
LI Whistler

Post by LI Whistler »

Thanks for your replies.
Some responses to your inputs:
I do not quite understand how my chin can help support the flute. References?
I had a young folk flute teacher for one starter class, who had not had a student with my problem.
I am using piper type grip but how do I support the weight of the flute?
I have started looking at the pages from Mr Mcgee.

I recently saw Michael McGoldrick using the flute head on shoulder pose, It still looks limiting & painful maybe
Thanks
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

hi the mike m method is discouraged by teachers, but it is an option anyway. Best to see if you can do it another way first.

With pipers grip the weight of the flute is borne by the left thumb. When I use pipers), my left thumb is pushing up, and it's a bit on the far side of the barrel. The rt thumb is under the flute, wherever it works but under the holes, and the rt pinky is down on the wood (supposing I'm playing keyless.) So the left thumb is pushing up and somewhat toward you. Your mouth is a fulcrum and the rt thumb and pinky are pushing the other way. This can be quite stable, with practice.

There used to be real flute crutches that screwed into the bottom of the flute--these were popular in the 19th and early 20th century. One sometimes sees them included with old flutes. I have no idea if this would help you but it might. Also some of the big outlets for good silver flutes sell (online) flute crutches or something like them, that attach to the bottom of the flute and are supposed to help the left hand grip. Again, you can find these online.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to second Steve's suggestion that you see a teacher. Good to do this at the beginning of flooting anyway.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
chrismontez
Tell us something.: I am a flute player interested in Irish music and Irish flutes and would like to communicate with other members of this forum.

Post by chrismontez »

Eamonn Cotter showed me a left hand support he was using and I copied . It is made of rapid hardening denture putty. You mix up a large lump of it, put it in the saddle between your thumb and 1st finger, molding it to support the flute. I can email you a pic if you post your email address
chrismontez
Tell us something.: I am a flute player interested in Irish music and Irish flutes and would like to communicate with other members of this forum.

Post by chrismontez »

I should also point out that there are a number of flute supports designed for classical players and some just use adhesive backed foam to prevent the flute from sliding off the support knuckle.