Current 8 key delrin/polymer flute makers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Current 8 key delrin/polymer flute makers

Post by Jayhawk »

I am curious who out there other than Dave Copley is making 8 key delrin/polymer flutes. Please feel free to post other 8 key pymer flute makers active these days. Thanks!

Eric
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Current 8 key delrin/polymer flute makers

Post by Loren »

I think Vincenzo Di Mauro may still be doing them upon request. Seem to remember someone posting here about having one just a few years ago, and struggling with the usual Low C note challenges.

Has anyone ever gotten an 8 Key from John Gallagher in Delrin? I have a vague sense that I may have heard of such an animal sighted in the wild.

I’m having trouble thinking of any other makers but I feel like there are at least a couple more….
Tom Aebi perhaps?

Sorry I don’t have more hard evidence Eric, hopefully others who have the unicorn flutes will chime in.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Probably Terry as well?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks Loren...I do think I recall Terry making them and hopefully he still does...I am interested in something similar to my circa 1830s Henry Wylde but in delrin instead of cocus.

Eric
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

No, sorry, not me. I do make keyless in Delrin, but not keyed flutes - I reckon the stuff is too hard to work for block mounted flutes. Should work well for post mounted flutes though, but that's not my cup of tea.

And I don't think I've actually had a Wylde through here, if so, I didn't measure it up. We know he was "Wylde from Rudall & Rose", so he probably knew what he was doing! It would be very interesting to compare an R&R from the period with the flutes from their various former workers.

Just to whet appetites, here's a left-handed Wylde:

iain beag
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Post by iain beag »

Dave Copley has stopped making 8 key flutes in both wood and delrin but he still makes 6 key flutes.
Iain
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

iain beag wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:44 am Dave Copley has stopped making 8 key flutes in both wood and delrin but he still makes 6 key flutes.
Iain
Oh bummer. Michael Connolly did the same...brief period of 8 keyed flutes but dropped back to 6 keyed.

Eric
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Tom Aebi has been experimenting with Juma lately (a "resin based material", per their website), and he made at least one keyed piccolo and one flute headjoint out of it. He's a very flexible person, so if it's technically possible (cf. Terry's comments about block mounts and delrin), I suppose he could do it.
Last edited by Flutern on Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Glenn Watson would also be worth asking. He was (at least at one point) offering 8 keys and his flutes are one of the more Wylde like I have played. He made a keyless Delrin flute for me some years back, so I know he has worked with the material. No idea if he has ever produced a keyed Delrin flute though.

I’ve owned two Watson flutes, the keyless Delrin and a 6 key boxwood which I acquired used. Both were excellent flutes: Well made and very good players. I only sold the Keyed flute because a chronic left hand/arm issue forced me to switch to piper’s grip on the left hand and the blocks prevented me from sealing the holes well and consistently, which is a problem for me with every block mounted flute I’ve tried, nothing to do with the Watson flute’s block placement, which is pretty standard.

Anyway, Glenn was easy to work with on the Delrin flute and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend him to others. Might be worth shooting him an email.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks Loren!
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus