Somers flute blows flat

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
AngelicBeaver
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Re: Somers flute blows flat

Post by AngelicBeaver »

The seller got back to me, and he didn't notice the flute blowing flatter than any of his other flutes, so either he subconsciously adjusted something, or it's just me.
Nathaniel James Dowell
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

AngelicBeaver wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:15 pm The seller got back to me, and he didn't notice the flute blowing flatter than any of his other flutes, so either he subconsciously adjusted something, or it's just me.
Is this your first Prattens type flute? Initially playing flat on a large hole/large bore flute is not uncommon for those coming from “smaller” flutes. This would be particularly true if you tend flat on those smaller flutes but don’t realize it because you have been adjusting with the slide.

The number of years one has been playing isn’t necessarily the deciding factor here as much as what flutes you learned on and how you learned to play them. This is particularly true if you mostly play alone, as opposed to often playing with others where better intonation and greater volume can be required.

Since Garry has a good reputation as a flute maker, and the previous owner states no issues with the flute, most likely you simply need to adjust to the larger holes and/or bore of the flute, plus the somewhat unusual embouchure cut I mentioned previously. 15 minutes of long tones a day focusing on breath support, embouchure efficiency, projection and power should sort the issue for you. My pitch came up considerably on my Olwell Pratten (necessitating more slide extension) when I consistently worked on this daily, some years ago.

Hope this helps.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Also, do continue to consider and evaluate the possibility that you are playing with the headjoint too rolled in, which is a common reason for playing flat overall. You may have unconsciously compensated for this on other flutes by simply blowing harder, but on the larger hole/bore flutes this type of compensation becomes difficult.
chrismontez
Tell us something.: I am a flute player interested in Irish music and Irish flutes and would like to communicate with other members of this forum.

Post by chrismontez »

Have you measured the position of the headjoint cork to make sure it is the correct distance fro the center of the embouchure?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 6:44 am
AngelicBeaver wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:15 pm The seller got back to me, and he didn't notice the flute blowing flatter than any of his other flutes, so either he subconsciously adjusted something, or it's just me.
Is this your first Prattens type flute? Initially playing flat on a large hole/large bore flute is not uncommon for those coming from “smaller” flutes. This would be particularly true if you tend flat on those smaller flutes but don’t realize it because you have been adjusting with the slide.
I never was able to blow a Seery or Hammy into tune. When I came up flat when I switched from a Rudall- to Nicholson-type Olwell (nothing like the switch from a small-holed to a Pratten) and I bellyached about it, Chris Norman said to me, "Don't blame the flute for your inability to play it in tune." :D
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

chas wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:24 am
I never was able to blow a Seery or Hammy into tune. When I came up flat when I switched from a Rudall- to Nicholson-type Olwell (nothing like the switch from a small-holed to a Pratten) and I bellyached about it, Chris Norman said to me, "Don't blame the flute for your inability to play it in tune." :D
Indeed, though that type of straightforward, honest response is often considered insulting and unhelpful on these forums. One wonders if people would have the balls to respond to Mr. Norman the way they responded to me when I made similar, but somewhat tamer, comments recently…..

Sign of the times I suppose, but it does get more and more difficult to help people on-line these days, because people are so fragile and easily offended.

Anyway, for those who haven’t heard Mr. Norman play, or haven’t seen the flutes he makes, you’re missing out.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Loren wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:49 am
chas wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:24 am

Indeed, though that type of straightforward, honest response is often considered insulting and unhelpful on these forums. One wonders if people would have the balls to respond to Mr. Norman the way they responded to me when I made similar, but somewhat tamer, comments recently…..

Sign of the times I suppose, but it does get more and more difficult to help people on-line these days, because people are so fragile and easily offended.

Anyway, for those who haven’t heard Mr. Norman play, or haven’t seen the flutes he makes, you’re missing out.
It's Chris Norman, he can say anything he wants. Just kidding; this was a private lesson. Probably my fourth or fifth from him, so I knew to listen and what to listen for, and he knew by then he really could tell me anything and I wouldn't get my nose out of joint.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

On my second whistle lesson, I managed to play something through without actually making a mistake, and – despite the fact I'd forgotten to tune my whistle – the tutor said "Great, you did that well". A woman at the next table wheeled round and said "Jaysus, it sounded like a bag of cats!"

I knew then we were going to become friends. :lol: