Sticky key advice

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Sticky key advice

Post by jim stone »

I have a lovely powerful Rudall Carte flute (bought from IFS) and the Eb key is sticky. It sticks at the beginning until there's enough pressure from my pinky and then it descends suddenly. I play with my pinky resting on that key and it's a problem. I've taken the key off, filed it, filed the wooden channel, oiled the key and the channel, put it back on. No change. I'll send it to a pro if I can't change this at home. I wonder if there are any suggestions as to what I might do to help.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Sticky key advice

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi Jim

If you look at the base of the key slot where the spring bears on the wood, is there a metal striker plate for it to bear on, or does it bear on plain wood? If so, has it dug itself a little hole? I've often found with period flutes that the wear there is enough to impede the normal action of the key. As the key touch descends, the tip of the spring has to move slightly towards the pin hole (ie the curved spring is straightening out), but that's made harder if the tip of the spring has to climb out of the hole to do that.

Sometimes a dob of cork grease on the tip of the spring is enough to get it moving again, other times, you really need to fill or cover over the worn section.

While you have the key off, a smear of cork grease on each side of the key might help if the sides of the slot are dragging on the key. Ah, which reminds me, check that there isn't a buildup of old dried wood oil inside the slot. But be careful not to open the slot too wide, or the key will lose guidance, causing the pad to come down in a different place each time, which can cause leakage.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by paddler »

There is also the possibility that the pad is sticking to the rim of the hole, in which case, cleaning the surface of the pad and rim where is seats might help. Also, sometimes when fitting a new pad and "floating" it into place, a small amount of glue/shellac can squeeze out between the pad and key cup and harden. It may protrude far enough to foul against the end of the pad recess. In this case, carefully check the clearance all around the key cup and pad throughout its range, and carefully scrape away any excess glue.

I've run into both these issues before, and all of the ones that Terry listed. Fine tuning keys can be a real pain. I just spent half a day wrestling with the short F key on an antique flute I'm restoring, and I'm still not entirely satisfied with its performance. At times like this I really start to appreciate the simplicity of a keyless flute!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Many thanks, guys. Appreciated.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Got it. Took off the key, put cork grease on the end of the spring and also lightly filed the edges of the newish pad. This is a grand flute and it was unstable in my hands cause of the Eb key, which no longer sticks. Megathanks to you both.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

No worries, Jim, well done, and thanks for getting back to us. Coincidentally, I'm in the middle of keying a 6-key and when I got to the Eb it made me wonder how you were faring.

Keying is one of my favourite parts (actually they're all my favourite parts, so maybe I should say "most favourite" parts!) of flute making. Probably because it's tricky, and I always wonder "am I still up to this?". At 75, something has to give sometime, and I sometimes wonder what it will be!

But it's very rewarding, as when it goes properly, you end up with keys that are light but snappy in action, not keys that are heavy and sluggish. And each key has its own challenges, because they vary so much in length. And you have to optimise so many things - spring material, thickness, width, taper, length, curves and bends, sharpness and smoothness. Keying flutes could be listed among activities that ward off cognative decline. Or perhaps tip you over the edge!

And perhaps I'd already failed the earlier test: "what got you into such an improbable business in the first place?"
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Better off for having you, kiddo. And it sure makes a difference to have flutesmyths onboard to help us all through.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

I often bring to mind and chuckle at the comment Francis (Chief) O’Neill (himself a flute player) made back in 1913:

“No musical instrument was in such common use among the Irish peasantry as the flute. From the ”penny whistle“ to the keyed instrument in sections it was always deservedly popular, for unlike the fiddle and the bagpipe it involved no expense beyond the purchase price. Complete in itself, the flute needed but a wetting to be always in tune, and disjointed or whole, could be carried about without display or inconvenience. Beside, if not broken by accident or design, it would outlive its owner."

Not my experience at all - I think our expectations have changed dramatically over the century since. We've experienced what good flutes in perfect condition can do, and we now want that all the time!

Maybe your errant Eb key just needed a good "wetting"?