The long foot c and c# keys

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
chansherly212
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The long foot c and c# keys

Post by chansherly212 »

Hi, it appears it’s more common for moderns makers to not provide the option of the C and C# keys on the long foot. I’m looking for a new keyed flute, preferably with C and C# keys since I like to play tunes in D minor, C maj etc and allows for more options with improvising with another instrument in C. I see that Copley, Doyle, Murray , Lehart flutes don’t have that option (at least some of them used to have the option, but no more)

Which makers still offer it, currently that come to mind which have that offer the long foot with keys? It’s not my sole criteria for a flute of course , just something I’d really like to have (other criteria is of course price, the volume, the tone, breath requirements) mainly I’d like a flute which is forgiving in terms of breath but still has good volume),
Thanks in advance
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: The long foot c and c# keys

Post by kkrell »

Steffen Gabriel is one.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
birdman

Post by birdman »

Windward flutes offer it, I believe.
patience, young grasshopper
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

My Thomas Aebi and Peter Noy flutes have the foot C and C# keys. I believe Terry McGee also offers foot keys.

Between the two, I prefer the Noy flute's more modern cup + pad design over the Aebi's traditional 19th Century pewter cup design. It just seals better with fewer complications.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Adding a C foot adds considerably to the price, as that is a lot of extra work for the maker. Not to mention the wait time.

You can get a great 19th C antique flute for much cheaper. $2,000 - $4,000. The lower price is available it the flute does not have the inscription "Rudall & Rose".

You have to evaluate the antiques and make sure it is within acceptable intonation. These flutes have tuning slides and were intended to cover a range of tunings. But if the flute is well-made, and not HP, this is not nearly the problem some make it out to be. (I know there will be three people chiming in to say only buy a modern flute, but I don't think they have actually tried a good antique.)
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Dave Copley still offers the low C and C#. I don't see the 8 key configuration on his site, but when I ordered my 8 key delrin it wasn't on his list/site, either...it was the other configurations as discussed option for keys.

Eric
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

I've owned a bunch of 8-keyed flutes, old and new, including 3 with a Boehm foot.

The best in my opinion is Jay Ham's (ask for his latest design). He offers several flute models, but his standard "large hole" Rudall has the other characterics you're after (tone, easy on the lungs, good volume). If you search this board, you should see photos of mine (the boxwood one).

Tom Aebi makes an excellent traditional footjoint (and great keywork more generally). He offers pads or pewter plugs as an option. Pads are a bit cheaper and quieter.

The one I liked least among modern makers was Stéphane Morvan's. I found it particularly unergonomic and the Eb key was thin and hard to reach. He no longer makes fully keyed flutes anyways...
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Regarding Boehm foot joint keywork...I really thought it might work best for me since I have a very short pinky, but I found it to be unusable. The old style is best for me, and I suspect best for those with medium/small hands and short pinkies.

Eric
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Glenn Watson makes excellent 8 keyed flutes.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

Geert Lejeune also makes C-foots :-)

I've just swopped my pewter plug style foot for a Boehm style C-foot. 100% (for me) the right choice. I'd been playing 2+ years with the traditional R&R style pewter plug. 1 week after switch over, prefer the ergonomics, solidity of the bottom notes and the absence of the typewriter click clack.

The pewter plug style keys can be prone to sticking or being lazy if you don't do regular cleaning / maintenance. Also many of the traditional older flutes that had the keys in-situ have removed them because the bottom-D plays better without the C/C# keys.

The extra two keys is going to set you back €800-1500 from most of the makers. So it begs the question if you really need it for the repertoire you intend to play.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Having regularly played an original Rudall & Rose c1830 flute for over 20 years I feel the need to point out that the pewter plug footjoint keys (which I regularly used) always worked flawlessly, sealed perfectly, and needed no maintenance whatsoever. (And Low C and Low C# were in tune, despite what other people say.)

I don't know why some other surviving mid-19th century flutes with pewter-plug footjoint keys have issues, because it's not something I've experienced.

I can only guess they've suffered maladjustment or damage. They are 200 years old, after all.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

To chime in with Richard, my current Henry Wylde and former E. Baak and F&P, all with pewter plugs for the low C and c#, have worked perfectly and been in perfect tuning as well.

Eric