New to Flute!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gleefan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm honestly just trying to get into anything music. I come from a strong Irish heritage, so this seemed like a good fit as one of the music forums I'm joining!

New to Flute!

Post by gleefan »

Hey ya'll! I'm new to the flute. Any tips or advice on how to properly get into it?
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: New to Flute!

Post by Jon C. »

Welcome! I rarely pop in here, happened to see your post. I would recommend you list to a lot of Irish flute music if you want to play the flute, there are also online teachers and maybe some in your area.
as far as instruments, be sure to start with a good instrument, DO NOT make the mistake of going on eBay and buying a cheap flute from the Mid East, it will end up being firewood, a lot of makers make entry level flutes or you can buy a good used flute. Also find a Session in your area that is the best place to learn proper way how to play.
Cheers, and good luck to you!
Jon :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon