Symptoms of Blackwood allergy?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Symptoms of Blackwood allergy?

Post by Nanohedron »

And not to be a pedant, but while it's popular practice to call it Blackwood allergy, it's actually not an allergy at all: it's contact dermatitis, which is a sensitization matter. One can become sensitized to cedar, for example. Understandably, this sort of thing is a big health hazard for luthiers, where at its worst shop dust alone from some woods - usually exotic - can cause anaphylactic shock. The savvy don't wear filtration masks for no reason.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nanohedron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:39 pm The savvy don't wear filtration masks for no reason.
I'm befuddled by the double negative.... :boggle:

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Sensitization it is, then. Noted!

Translation of double negative: we don’t wear a mask without a reason. Actually pretty clear.
/cf
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Nanohedron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 1:54 pm Once sensitized, you're sensitized for good
Same with latex allergy. A former GP advised me that that, once sensitised, there's a tiny chance of suddenly reacting with anaphylaxis instead of sore skin.

She said the vast majority with contact allergies never will, but it's life threatening for those that do, specially as it comes out of the blue. She advised me to look up the symptoms, because if I had the rough luck to be one of those rare cases, I might find it useful to recognise it. (She was an Aussie expat, typical mastery of understatement. :lol: )
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Steve Bliven wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:52 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:39 pm The savvy don't wear filtration masks for no reason.
I'm befuddled by the double negative.... :boggle:
carrie wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:18 pm Translation of double negative: we don’t wear a mask without a reason. Actually pretty clear.
That's what I get for trying to be homespun.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Nanohedron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:39 pm And not to be a pedant, but while it's popular practice to call it Blackwood allergy, it's actually not an allergy at all: it's contact dermatitis, which is a sensitization matter.
No, it’s an allergy: The reaction is caused by a compound in the wood, an allergen, thus the resulting contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction. Physiologically, the process causing the symptoms is an allergic reaction. Sensitization over time is simply a common aspect of allergies in many people - happens all the time with food. And wood. Also things like insect stings.

That said, you are correct that it’s not actually a Blackwood allergy per se, but rather an allergy to one or more compounds contained in the wood. The article I read on these compounds theorized that certain trees evolved having these compounds to ward off insects and other pests that would otherwise attack the tree. Unfortunately I can’t remember the scientific names of the specific compounds, but an internet search would turn up documenting articles should one be particularly interested.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

Nanohedron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:22 pm That's what I get for trying to be homespun.
"Homespun" for a sophisticated audience like this??? :P

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Steve Bliven wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:06 am
"Homespun" for a sophisticated audience like this??? :P
:lol:
/cf
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Loren wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:47 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:39 pm And not to be a pedant, but while it's popular practice to call it Blackwood allergy, it's actually not an allergy at all: it's contact dermatitis, which is a sensitization matter.
No, it’s an allergy: The reaction is caused by a compound in the wood, an allergen, thus the resulting contact dermatitis is an allergic reaction. Physiologically, the process causing the symptoms is an allergic reaction. Sensitization over time is simply a common aspect of allergies in many people - happens all the time with food. And wood. Also things like insect stings.

That said, you are correct that it’s not actually a Blackwood allergy per se, but rather an allergy to one or more compounds contained in the wood. The article I read on these compounds theorized that certain trees evolved having these compounds to ward off insects and other pests that would otherwise attack the tree. Unfortunately I can’t remember the scientific names of the specific compounds, but an internet search would turn up documenting articles should one be particularly interested.
All right, then! I am free to call it allergy once more, without a qualm. I'm pretty sure I got the "not-an-allergy" thing here among the fluters, though; there's nowhere else I would have encountered the topic. In any case, I am the furthest thing from an expert, but that doesn't qualify me to spread misinformation. Consider me schooled. Carrie, everyone: My deepest apologies. You shall hear no more such nonsense out of me. Can't vouch for the rest of my nonsense, though. :)
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

The issue might have been confused by terminology, Nanohedron, as an allergy is a hypersensitivity.

If the reaction's immune-mediated, triggered by a specific substance, occurs quickly, and is reproducible at every encounter, it's usually recognised as a true allergy regardless of whether the symptoms are mildly annoying or deadly.

The usual confusion is between food allergy and food intolerance, which aren't the same. Food intolerance is the inability to digest some proteins, sugars, etc, and the reaction doesn't involve the immune system.

I wish I wasn't quite so bloody familiar with the subject! :lol:
carrie

Post by carrie »

Love and miss this community! Nanohedron, deepest apologies accepted. :wink: Allergy it is then!

For whatever it may be worth, I don't think my doctor's recommendation to switch to tacrolimus ointment after two weeks of hydrocotisone was best for me. A healing trend seemed to take a turn for the worse when I made the switch. YMMV, as folks like to say.

And speaking if what folks like to say, for anyone (like me) who is tired of the expression "It is what it is," imagine it with contractions to take the edge off: "It's what it's."
/cf
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

carrie wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:45 pm... for anyone (like me) who is tired of the expression "It is what it is," imagine it with contractions to take the edge off: "It's what it's."
I've heard a couple of others say they're tired of it too. I know one fellow who uses the phrase when it fits (as do I, but not overmuch, I promise), generally in response to social inequities, and next time he does, I'll follow with "It's what it's." He's the sort to like it.

I do like the hackneyed phrase, but mainly for the reason that it's a more positive expression than "It can't be helped" or the like. Resignation lite, you could say. Assessment minus that sinking feeling.
gbyrne
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute. I started learning 3 years ago. I like this website and TheSession too. This should be enought for you to know I am not a weirdo spammer.

Post by gbyrne »

Your symptoms and progression are entirely typical for this allergy.
carrie

Post by carrie »

gbyrne wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:49 am Your symptoms and progression are entirely typical for this allergy.
Thank you for the feedback!
/cf
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Several years ago I occasionally got something akin to small areas of poison ivy on my lower lip, which would last for a couple of days to a couple of weeks at a time. That turned out to be from a cocobolo whistle that I was playing. Fortunately I haven't had it from any other rosewoods, and I much prefer playing boxwood instruments.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.