Galeon 3D printed keyed flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Galeon 3D printed keyed flutes

Post by pancelticpiper »

I stumbled across these on Ebay, here's the Galeon site https://www.galeonwhistles.com/keyed-flutes/

I searched the Flute Forum using "Galeon" and "3D printed" and didn't come up with any discussion of these.

Has anyone played one?

Thanks!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Galeon 3D printed keyed flutes

Post by Jayhawk »

Hey Richard...I find these flutes intriguing and have contemplated buying an 8 keyed one since the price is so low (well, relatively speaking of course). However, between my 8 key Wylde and 8 key delrin Copley...I keep thinking do I really need to try a new flute?

There was one prior thread that has one person's thoughts on them: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=113735&p=1255628&hi ... e#p1255628

Eric
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Thanks!

I don't know why my searches of the Flute Forum using "Galeon" and "3D printed" didn't turn it up.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Someone needs to buy one of these and thoroughly review them on the board to keep me from buying one needlessly. I'm definitely curious about these flutes...how does the resin body compare tonally to delrin? How good are the keys and how quick is the action with plastic instead of metal on the keys.

Eric
Cyberknight
Tell us something.: I live in the Boston area and like to play in sessions. I've played whistle for 10+ years and flute for 6 months.

Post by Cyberknight »

I seriously considered buying one of these, but I bought an M&E polymer flute instead. Same idea, similar price, but less goofy-looking (in fact, my flute fools a lot of people into thinking it's blackwood). It also has metal keys, which is nice. Whether it's better quality is something I can't say. All I know is that I like it a lot and people at sessions tell me it plays much like a wooden flute would.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

I've owned four M&Es (keyless, 6 key and two 8 key ebonites)...nothing wrong with them! I honestly find the white flute attractive...not sure why, but I do.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

The only thing that gives me pause about the design is the nylon keys sitting in resin blocks. I wonder how wear-resistant that is over time? Seems to me that they might loosen up after enough use with the two plastic materials wearing against each other. But then I guess most people wouldn't be buying this as a lifetime instrument, more of a trial step into the world of keyed flutes.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

Coincidentally, someone posted this on Youtube a few days ago: https://youtu.be/OvtGsBhlQT8?si=Tz7wIO-kdO9CztfA
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk »

Thanks for sharing the video!
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes thanks!

As Juan pointed out he's not doing much with the keys.

I suggested he play one of those Paddy Carty reels in D minor or G minor. Those are great tunes but far easier on Carty's Radcliff or a Boehm than on an old-system.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle