IMPORT TO UK POST-BREXIT

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Prana
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm looking for a community of enthusiasts for simple-system, conical-bore, traditional flutes used mainly for British Isles/ North American/French/Low Countries folk music. But I'm happy to follow leads into other flutes, genres and peoples.

IMPORT TO UK POST-BREXIT

Post by Prana »

Hi all

Does anyone have post-Brexit experience of importing a new hand-made flute, for personal use, from an EU maker into the UK? VAT, import tax, customs clearance procedures, CITES or other certificates of origin? I don't find the official Customs and Revenue website pages at all clear.
iain beag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play various instruments, Highland pipes, Border pipes, uilleann pipes, smallpipes, flute (badly) and trying to learn mandolin.

Re: IMPORT TO UK POST-BREXIT

Post by iain beag »

Although not a flute I did import a set of new ebony and boxwood Uilleann Pipes from Germany. No Cites involved.

I paid import duty (I believe 20%) to the courier then import vat, customs duty and handling charge to Parcel Force.

All I did was pay the bills as they were sent to me, I didn't have to complete any forms. Clearance does seem to be taking longer than pre Brexit and obviously more expensive.

Hope this helps