Ebonite

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jim stone

Ebonite

Post by jim stone »

I have a Rudall Carte keyed ebonite F flute, which is really great. Does anyone know how I can get my fins on a conical keyed ebonite D flute? I can wait and check the IFS....but I might wait forever.
jim stone

Re: Ebonite

Post by jim stone »

Here's one at IFS, but it is high pitched. It can be played at 440 with the tuning slight out three quarters of an inch, but Csharp takes lipping. https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... -ebonite-d Looking for other options.
tstermitz
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Ebonite

Post by tstermitz »

If C# is a little flat, then you can vent it with the C-nat key.

I think the C/C# tradeoff on simple system flute design is if you fix one of those notes, the other gets more out of tune. I had a large holed Rudal from a modern maker with a powerful voice, but I couldn't come to terms with the C/C# intonation disparity for that instrument.

My absolutely wonderful medium-holed R&R is spot on if I use the C-nat key for both C# & C-Nat. The C nat on this flute (like many antiques) works great with my preferred OXO XXXk cross-fingered C (but the whistler's OXX OOO is bad: muffled and flat). Oddly enough, I use the C-nat key only for C#. The OOO XXXk fingering works fairly well for C#, and has the advantage of providing a with roll and nice, poppity runs.