Headless Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Flutern
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Re: Headless Flute

Post by Flutern »

bigsciota wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:48 pmMade a couple inquiries to flutemakers about restoration and the head; I'd welcome any suggestions!
Since you asked... Have a chat with Jay Ham, if you haven't already. He makes really great headjoints (and flutes of course!) and overhauls antiques. His prices are fair and he won't let you down if you decide to go with him :)

I have a William Hall & Son and I got a headjoint made for it by Chris Norman: it's excellent, but pricey. Plus he's in Canada... Shipping cocus flutes internationally is not a problem, I've done it severeal times between North America, Asia and post-Brexit Europe...
Last edited by Flutern on Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

tstermitz wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:45 pm $175 is a good price for pieces-parts of a Cocus wood flute, but I wouldn't call it a steal due to the missing head and low-C key. Maybe Paddler or Jon Cornia has a drawer of flute parts. Replacing a key is probably prohibitively more expensive than replacing the head!
Yes, especially the particular look/configuration of the keys, I can imagine it might be pricey to get a custom replacement. Maybe someone somewhere has an un-repairable one with a working low C key and that'll work, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

Since I will almost certainly be keeping this flute once repaired, I may wait a bit on the C key, just to get it to working order. I've seen some examples with both footjoint keys torn off, I assume to bring the low D and other right-hand notes up a bit in pitch. Maybe that'll be the compromise with this one, or maybe the C# key is easy enough to get working that it's worth keeping on. I'll let whoever handles it figure that one out!
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

For the missing low C key here is another possibility. Lars Kirmser, https://www.musictrader.com/meet-the-team , has a sizable collection of early wooden flutes, and specifically offers repair/replacement of olde keywork.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

RIP. He died January 26th.
an seanduine wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:38 pm For the missing low C key here is another possibility. Lars Kirmser...
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I am saddened to hear that Lars has passed. My home is somewhat remote from his shop in Covington, so it is apparent I haven't been by there for a while. I'll try to get in touch with Sam, his technician/apprentice to inquire what has become of his collection of old instruments. Lars was an outstanding advocate for instrument repair and restoration.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Ty-- email sent to you....
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale