8 key Metzler

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
plamas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

8 key Metzler

Post by plamas »

Greetings all,
I'm selling off a few flutes from my collection to fund a solar powered electricity system for the workshop...
Here's the first one...
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/325755167336

Happy Bidding

Hammy Hamilton
rogervj
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play guitar, flute and whistle. I fell in love with trad after visiting Ireland some years ago. I don't post much but I visit and read all the time.

Re: 8 key Metzler

Post by rogervj »

Orange pads?
plamas

Post by plamas »

Those are what are known to the trade as "brown leather clarinet pads" which work really well when re-padding flutes of this era.
It is an orangey brown, I'll grant you...
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

We call them "tan leather pads". Used a lot for clarinet and sax, and stand up well to the sharp edges that pad seats on the old flutes often presented.

Great to hear from you, Hammy. So the workshop still gets a bit of use from time to time, eh? :poke:
paddler

Post by paddler »

Hammy, just FYI, I have an ebony Metzler flute that seems to be identical to the one you are selling here. I'm still in the process of restoring it, and have been for a while. Just a few weeks ago I exchanged some pictures of it with Simon Waters who said he too had one, but his is in boxwood. I've been curious about the origins of this flute. When I bought it (kind of a blind sale on eBay) I expected it to be something else (probably early Clementi) and was surprised to find it labeled as a Metzler. It seems to be a very nicely made instrument, but I haven't actually played mine much yet.
plamas

Post by plamas »

Hi Paddler,
Yes, Simon shared some photos of an identical flute which I presume must be yours. Really incredibly alike in every detail.
I did mange finally to have a look at a Milhouse which I thought might have been similar, but I'll need to look more closely at it.
Best
Hammy
plamas

Post by plamas »

Hi Terry,
Let me assure you that retirement is not all it's cracked up to be....
Best
Hammy
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Heh heh, at least you've tried giving it a go. I've been too chicken....

And now I find myself again getting perilously low on supplies of certain popular keys, tuning slides, cork sheet, delrin rod, cases. Now at age 75, how many more should I order? Woah.....
plamas

Post by plamas »

depends how many orders you have I suppose...
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Hammy,
That is a lovely flute. I hope the bidding goes way up, and soon ... enough to quell my acquisition syndrome.
I find that retirement is everything it's cracked up to be. My favorite career so far.
Best wishes,
David
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Question: This is bone/horn, not ivory? Whatever it is, what will American customs do? Can they tell the difference and in a short time? Perhaps people with experience can say something.
plamas

Post by plamas »

It's eBay bone...
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

I have a model just like this but with a B foot, used to have one of these in boxwood I bought from Olwell. This is from the elder Metzler shop, or we suspect was rebranded, they all have the unusual arrow shaped touch on the Cnat key.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon