Excessive saliva when playing

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Gromit

Excessive saliva when playing

Post by Gromit »

I've been re-learning my embouchure after an infection in my jaw which left me with a numbness in my left cheek and left side of my mouth and stopped me playing for several years. It's come back ok, it's slightly different and a bit stronger than before but I seem to be producing more saliva which is a hinderance. Any thoughts or suggestions. Thanks
Moof
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Re: Excessive saliva when playing

Post by Moof »

Sounds counterintuitive, but keeping really well hydrated is supposed to help – along with anything else that leaves you with a dry mouth, such as brushing your teeth.

It might just be one of those annoying phases that you have to ride out. When I started playing low whistle there was something about the way I blew the lowest notes that tended to trigger my cough reflex, and I remembered having the same thing as a kid when I first learned woodwind. Both times it passed, though not without some frustration!