FS: Sam Murray 6-key D flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

FS: Sam Murray 6-key D flute

Post by jemtheflute »

FOR SALE - 6-key D blackwood concert flute with silver keys and rings, made by Sam Murray in 2011 for the current and only owner, being sold by me as full agent on said owner's behalf (admin approval sought and given). This fine flute (one of Sam's good ones!) is in excellent, ready-to-play condition, having just been inspected and cleaned by myself. It has had previous repairs by myself, including partial cracks to the original head and barrel, repaired by me in March 2021 - which are currently in as good a state as when I did the work. (Details of that work can be seen in this Facebook photo album). The flute also came to me in May 2018 for some minor repairs, overhaul and adjustment, including significant improvements to the set-up.

The flute has a two-piece body (so-mis-called "Rudall style"), a full length foot but no low C#/C keys, the usual keys for Eb, long and short F, G#, Bb and long C, a tuning head/barrel. The head has a simple cork and push-in crown button, not a screw adjustable stopper, and is "part-lined", the metal tuning slide tube extending only so far into the head as is needful to secure it. The long F key is Nicholson style with an upturned touch, which means the key touch is only properly accessible to the L4 finger if the lower body holes are turned somewhat outwards (they can be put in line with the upper body holes, but then the long F touch is ill-placed and awkward to use).

The flute also has a second headjoint (including barrel) made for it/the owner by Steffen Gabriel in 2016, also of blackwood. This has a screw-adjustable crown-stopper. It has a slightly thicker wooden tube and therefore a slightly deeper embouchure chimney, which together with the very different embouchure cut means it has rather different playing qualities to the original Murray head. It too is "part-lined".

There is a full demonstration video of the flute (description/discussion, scales and tunes with comparison of the two heads) on YouTube.

Full details of previous work done to the flute can be supplied by PM or (preferably) e-mail on request, as can any measurements. Please also see the For Sale listing on Facebook. I've listed it as "Used -like new" because, although that's not strictly true, it's in truly excellent condition, better than just "good". All the photos attached to the FB listing were taken on 8:6:2023.

Asking price for the Murray flute alone is £2,000 GBP. If sold together with the Gabriel head, price is £2,300. If not sold with the Murray, the Gabriel head may become available separately. (Sensible offers will be considered.) Price does not include postage and transaction costs which (if any) will be calculated and added on Invoice, and can be discussed/agreed in advance.

There is no case included, but I may be able to supply a suitable one for a reasonable extra cost - please enquire.

Please contact me by e-mail (jem hammond @ yahoo. co. uk. - without spaces) rather than by the C&F PM system.

Also listed in the UIE
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

SOLD: Sam Murray 6-key D flute

Post by jemtheflute »

Flute now sold (with both heads).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads