Kevin Crawford's Irish Flute Technique Course on OAIM

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
paddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Kevin Crawford's Irish Flute Technique Course on OAIM

Post by paddler »

I just wanted to give a shout out for Kevin Crawford's new online courses on the Online Academy of Irish Music (OAIM), and for OAIM in general. They have a lot of other great courses and tutors too, but I recently discovered these two new courses from Kevin and have been working through them.

Kevin has an Advanced course on "Irish Flute Technique". In each of the 13 lessons he teaches a new tune and uses it to introduce various elements of his flute playing technique. The tune selection is really nice and the lessons follow a good progression. He also has an intermediate whistle course, consisting of 13 lessons, in which he introduces and teaches 13 of his favorite whistle tunes. That course is called "Kevin Crawford's Whistle Favorites". I think both these courses are gems for anyone still learning. And at the risk of stating the obvious, Kevin Crawford is a superb player, and an excellent teacher. It is great to be able to take lessons from him in your own home.

OAIM membership is really inexpensive and gives unlimited access to tons of great courses and supporting materials, so you don't just get access to one course.
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Kevin Crawford's Irish Flute Technique Course on OAIM

Post by dyersituations »

Agreed about the quality of videos on OAIM. I've been working through Kevin Crawford's flute videos and Mikie Smyth's piping videos. Both are great. I've also watched one of Niall Keegan's flute videos, and it covered a ton of fairly advanced technique quickly, which was awesome. Eventually I'll check out the rest of his videos. Unfortunately not a ton of beginner/embouchure technique, so I had to look elsewhere when I picked up the flute again several years ago, but lots of intermediate and advanced tips throughout the videos.
Life is good.