introduction/a daunting task

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Kirk B
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: introduction/a daunting task

Post by Kirk B »

rick alan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:11 pm I've been starting to get around on the Boehm flute pretty quickly since my two-year wood shed session (thanks COVID!), but the agility these trad players is something I've got to work up to for sure! The quick leaps between pitches will be a challenge for me. I think it'll improve me all the way around..!
Yeah, there are some Irish tunes like "The Gravel Walks" that are challenging because of the mechanics involved and embouchure control when jumping octaves. If you do end up with an open-holed keyless flute there are a couple of fingering differences from the Boehm Flute. F sharp is XXX X00 instead of XXX 0X0 or XXX 0XX on the Boehm. And C natural is 0X0 000 or 0XX 000 depending on the flute. The embouchure you use will be a little different as well. It's easy to go between Boehm flute and Sax because the fingering is pretty much the same but Boehm to simple-system flute takes a little bit of adjustment.
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Kirk B wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:46 pm Maybe since this is more of a gig there'll be a set list and sheet music but you'd want to know that ahead of time.
I've done many "legit" gigs (onstage or session work, by which they mean a recording studio session) and the standard and expected thing is that when you show up they'll be sheet music for you to read.

Occasionally there will be a practice beforehand, but the standard and expected practice is that you're expected to sight-read well enough to play everything at sight. All you get is a quick run-through to highlight any tricky bits a few minutes before you perform.

In other words the musicians don't get, or expect to get, a set-list or sheet music in advance.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
rick alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi! I am a professional saxophonist/boehm flute player and I am taking on the task of learning Irish flute and possibly pipes in the future. Cheers..!

Post by rick alan »

pancelticpiper wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:49 am
Kirk B wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:46 pm Maybe since this is more of a gig there'll be a set list and sheet music but you'd want to know that ahead of time.
I've done many "legit" gigs (onstage or session work, by which they mean a recording studio session) and the standard and expected thing is that when you show up they'll be sheet music for you to read.

Occasionally there will be a practice beforehand, but the standard and expected practice is that you're expected to sight-read well enough to play everything at sight. All you get is a quick run-through to highlight any tricky bits a few minutes before you perform.

In other words the musicians don't get, or expect to get, a set-list or sheet music in advance.
For sure. Lucky for me this ain't that kind of gig. It's a regular-rehearsing band of a friend that I'm filling in for. I was given recordings for the pub stuff and some sheets fore the trad stuff so I'll just get as prepared as I can. :)