CITES Update Traveling Internationally With Ivory in Flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

CITES Update Traveling Internationally With Ivory in Flute

Post by Jayhawk »

I've been google searching and searching this site for update on traveling with an antique flute that has a small bit of ivory in the headjoint (the internal tuner in the headjoint of an antique Wylde flute). While it's not likely anyone would ever see the ivory, the tuner for the headjoint cork is ivory and if you pull off the end cap, well, you'd see it.

What documentation do I need to be able to travel to the EU and Morocco later this spring? The flute is from approximately 1830, and the amount of ivory is de minimis, but I want to be safe and avoid some over eager border agent confiscating the old flute for no reason.

Thoughts? Links to obtaining a CITES permit?

Thanks,
Eric
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: CITES Update Traveling Internationally With Ivory in Flute

Post by kkrell »

Get a replacement tuner for travel. My Wylde has an ivory ball on the end of the tuner, because Jon Cornia just had to get fancy.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I would try to get a replacement made out of delrin. Something you can change back.

Getting a permit would probably take forever and then you're calling attention to it at the airport; you are vulnerable to whimsies and passions of a local inspector who might find some discrepancy in the permitting. My feeling about flying is I do every possible thing to minimize the likelihood of hassle
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've thought about sending it to the Olwells who renovated the flute in 2000 to create a new headjoint stopper tuner, but the headjoint has a repaired crack (totally solid) and it makes me nervous to think about changing anything in the old flute.

Luckily, I have an 8 key delrin Copley, so I'll likely just travel with that. It's a great flute, too, but there is something special about that circa 1830s Wylde.

Eric