Recommended case

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Re: Recommended case

Post by Sirchronique »

Steve Bliven wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:19 pm
Sirchronique wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:08 pm This hard case perfectly fits the bill for what I’m after, as I wanted something hard due to the fact that I am often carrying multiple things when I’m coming in and out. I would use the whistle compartments, as well. It would be perfect for my lunch-break music kit. Thanks very much!

And thanks to everyone else who responded, as well!
If this indicates an interest in the McNeela cases, they are currently listed on sale at $42 US (plus shipping of course).

[Disclaimer: I have no connection with McNeela other than I have purchased a few of these cases for me and as gifts and been satisfied.]

Best wishes.

Steve
Yep, that’s what I’m ordering. Thanks for the heads up about the sale!
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Here's what a Baubet Eb delrin looks like in an ADC case:
https://flic.kr/p/2obxJCn

My Hamilton Keyless center section is too big for this case.
fintano
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Post by fintano »

The reason not to leave a Delrin flute in the car is not temperature, but risk of theft.

I do not agree. I left a Delrin flute in my car on a very hot day, and the cork dried out and has never stayed in the same location since.

I keep cramming in stuff to try to keep it in position, but it has been an ongoing problem.

At some point I am going to have to face the problem and come up with a solution. Find a replacement cork?

As it is the instrument is mostly useless.
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

Slightly detour, but if you need a custom-length sock for a keyless flute or a low whistle, finding some extra-chunky yarn and a bored child is a good move! :lol: These kids' French knitting tools produce a long woollen tube that fit a low D whistle perfectly, I made a couple recently whilst laid up recovering from a 'flu bug:

https://tinyurl.com/r35uscba

Speaking of low whistles, telescopic poster tubes make excellent (and very cheap) rainproof cases, as of course the air seal required for a wooden flute isn't usually necessary. I use these; the cardboard tube the whistle was delivered in will fit inside, making them pretty robust:

https://tinyurl.com/ub88u88y
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

fintano wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:40 am The reason not to leave a Delrin flute in the car is not temperature, but risk of theft.

I do not agree. I left a Delrin flute in my car on a very hot day, and the cork dried out and has never stayed in the same location since.

I keep cramming in stuff to try to keep it in position, but it has been an ongoing problem.

At some point I am going to have to face the problem and come up with a solution. Find a replacement cork?

As it is the instrument is mostly useless.
Have you removed the cork, boiled a cup of water, and plopped said cork into the hot water to rehydrate for an hour or so? I did the same thing...left an M&E in a hot car, and I was playing in a session and the cork slid down into the embouchure hole. It took me a bit to figure out why the flute was making zero sounds! Rehydrating helped a lot, you can also just get a new wine cork (hey, you get wine, too!) or a short cork from a port bottle and use that. You may have to sand it down a bit, but with patience it works great. Replacing a cork is really no big deal at all.

Eric
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I think the hard part would be figuring out what sticks to delrin?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

The headjoint cork is held in by pressure, so no need for anything to stick to the delrin. Weldwood contact cement works well on delrin if you need to glue cork on the joints.