Maintenance for seldom-played wooden flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Conical bore
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Maintenance for seldom-played wooden flute?

Post by Conical bore »

How often should you play a flute that isn't your main one, but you want to keep it in good condition?

I recently acquired a new (secondhand) wooden flute that I like a bit more than the one I've been playing. I still want to keep the current one as a backup, so I can send either flute out for re-padding keys or other work when needed, and not be without a flute to play (horrors!). On the assumption that at least a little moisture from playing now and then is good for the flute, how often should the "backup" flute be played? Is once a month enough? More often?

FYI, I keep these flutes in a music room with good climate control (between 40%-55% rh depending on the season), stored in French-style cases when not being played. I oil wooden flutes two or three times a year.
tstermitz

Re: Maintenance for seldom-played wooden flute?

Post by tstermitz »

The humid US Northwest is sure different from the Mountain West!

Based on nothing but my own assumptions, I think you should supply dampness to the interior of the flute, by playing it once a week or so. You get a little embouchure re-training practice as well.

(What is your new flute? I though you were really happy with the one you have been playing.)
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

tstermitz wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:44 pm(What is your new flute? I though you were really happy with the one you have been playing.)
The new flute is an 8-key Peter Noy "Nicholson" model. And yes, I was really happy with my Thomas Aebi 8-key Rudall-type. A wonderful flute, but you know how it is, there's always that nagging thought that there might be something else out there. :D

I sometimes play in a fairly loud session with a player of border pipes where it's often difficult to hear myself. I've been curious to try a flute that might have a little more power than the Aebi. The Noy is a tiny bit louder but it also has more "edge" to the tone that helps cut through. A marginally better session instrument so it's a keeper. Who knows, I may go back to the Aebi at some point; it's a sweeter sound for solo playing.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

I suspect that, given the conditions you store the flutes in, it would be fine simply not to play it at all and then to treat it like a new flute (as far as oiling is concerned) when you take it up again. I do this myself as I am away from my home for about six months every year and just take one flute with me. When I am at home, however, I play both flutes: one one day and the other the next. But I don't have favourites -- I like both equally well. Chet
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

But Chet, don't your flutes get jealous?

More seriously... That's a good idea to play each flute every other day. It would help train up your embouchure. I don't find it easy to change flutes, as my lips don't adapt very quickly; they need at least days if not weeks to get the best and most consistent tone out of a new flute.
Conical bore

Post by Conical bore »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll compromise and give the backup Aebi flute a spin every two weeks or so. I just pulled it out yesterday and didn't have any issues with re-training my embouchure, maybe because the embouchure cut looks almost identical to the newer Noy flute. The two flutes don't feel any different in that respect. The Noy is just a hair louder, with more high frequency buzz or "cut" in the tone that I like for session playing.

My third and very different flute is a Lehart low Bb, and that one does need playing frequently enough to keep my embouchure in good shape or else the Bb note just disappears! I try to play it at least once a week so I can hit that low note. It's a beast, but fun for the slow tunes and airs.
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Taking inspiration from this thread, I got out my lesser-played flute with the bigger holes, and found that my work with the other flute has improved my efforts on the bigger holed flute. The smaller holed flute plays easier (notes initiate and ring out with clarity and directness), and now I put in the effort to achieve that clarity from the bigger holed flute.