Did anyone attend the recent West Coast flute camp?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm curious how it was.

G., did you make it, or did current events interfere with your travel plans?

Loren
CraigMc

Post by CraigMc »

Hey Loren,

I was only able to attend the concert with Skip Healy, where I got a wonderful demonstration of all that I would miss at the workshop.

I talked my very supportive wife in letting me attend the workshop but later thought better of it and decided to use the money on more lessons. Since my instructor was attending he can pass it on to me for now. I plan on attending next year.

Sorry I can't give you more info. I am super excited that this happened its like the whole flute community around here got a big breath of fresh air.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2001-10-11 17:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CraigMc on 2001-10-11 17:06 ]</font>
gcollins
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gcollins »

Hey Loren!

Yes, I was there, and it was a blast. I was especially entertained by the obvious competition of the flute makers there. Skip Healy and Casey Burns are not the closest of associates, to put it mildly. I played a lot of flutes and learned more about playing the keyed flutes, which was fun.

The classes were quite good, if marginally useful. Rod Skelton and Grey Larson were really good, but Skip Healy is the best teacher, as he is very outgoing and articulate about the subtlties of flute playing. The concerts were even better. Skip's a real entertainer, but Larson/League and Skelton were terrific.

It was also nice to meet some new people, though I'll probably never see them again as I'm back in China now. What was amazing is that so many of them are not on the internet and/or do not remotely know about the resources on the web for flute playing and tunes. This is hard to believe given how conected information is these days.

Here's a tip. Have you ever played a lute by Peter Noy? Wow! He has a phenomenal flute (keyed and unkeyed) and he is quite talented and knowledgable (20 years or flutemaking and tons of R&D on the flute), but very quiet and understated. He has almost no waiting list for a keyed flute. His flutes just blew away those of Healy, Burns, and Ralph Sweet (what a great guy Ralph is as well!). Just a different class altogether, like an Olwell flute would be as well, if he were there. I was very very close to giving Peter a check right there for a six-keyed flute with his contemporary headjoint. Incredible. Still thinking about it.

Anyway, talk to you later.