Delrin Pratten

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Delrin Pratten

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Hi,

Do you know of any pro delrin flute with Pratten design out there? Not Seery, Galeon or Somers. Thanks!
eilam

Re: Delrin Pratten

Post by eilam »

john Gallagher makes amazing Pratten flutes in Delrin if you want that, not cheap, but worth the money.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Not entirely sure what you mean by “Pro”…..

If you mean “Big Name” makers who produce a “Pratten’s” style flute, then Hammy Hamilton (now mostly retired as I understand it) has produced some of his flutes in Delrin, if I am not mistaken. Terry McGee could probably be convinced to produce such a device, and likely has done at some point in the past. No one else comes to mind at the moment, but I’m sure I’m forgetting one or more makers of Pratten’s type flutes and other’s will no doubt fill in the gaps.

Generally, I have found that one simply needs to ask the maker of a flute you are interested in if the would be willing to produce one in Delrin, and often they will oblige. That said, not all makers will agree to work with Delrin, but it’s worth asking.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

eilam wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 11:26 am john Gallagher makes amazing Pratten flutes in Delrin if you want that, not cheap, but worth the money.
Doh!! That’s who I was trying to remember! Thanks Eilam :thumbsup: John makes makes top level flutes to be sure, and Delrin.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

I don't play prattens, but I received my Gallagher flute about a month ago (small hole model) and it's wonderful. Like Eilam said, not cheap but worth the money.

Something worth noting for people sensitized to Allergia melanoxylon and other cursewoods: John also makes a 3-piece headjoint with the inner band in delrin and the outer bands in (black)wood. It's like the silver sleeve you see on many antiques, but in derin. John sent me a photo of a headjoint like this in blackwood/delrin, and it looked really neat :thumbsup: Personally I went for olivewood, but it's worth considering for people who really want a blackwood flute but can't play one...
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Paddy Ward. At least has in the past.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I was going to say Paddy Ward. I’ve been fortunate to play a Ward Pratten in Delrin and found it to be very good, easy to play with awesome tone and excellent intonation.

Copley, always mentioned very positively, is a great Delrin option. Not a true Pratten, patterned after a Hudson, but also a great flute which I find more similar in playing characteristics to larger holed Pratten patterned flutes than Rudalls.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

BKWeid wrote:
Copley, always mentioned very positively, is a great Delrin option. Not a true Pratten, patterned after a Hudson, but also a great flute which I find more similar in playing characteristics to larger holed Pratten patterned flutes than Rudalls.
Actually, Copleys are closer to Hawkes & Son designs, as Dave says on their website:
Our instruments are tapered bore "simple system" flutes based on originals made in England during the 1800's, with the greatest influence being the flutes made by Hawkes and Son of London.
I've played several Copleys over the years and currently waiting on a delrin flute now.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Ah, yes. Sorry for the mistake. Nevertheless, very good delrin flute.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Rob Forbes. Fabulous instruments.
http://www.forbesflutes.com/
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Post by KevinNot10 »

IIRC, I think Tom Doorley played a Seery flute on at least the first Danú album, which sounds like the definition of a professional instrument to me? But perhaps you have already managed to try one and have decided it's not for you!
Kevin
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Yes, yes, I know. I use "pro" as synonym of "instrument not specifically designed for novices and played by experienced musicians", sorry for the possible misunderstanding.

I had a keyless Seery in delrin 3 years ago, bought to a well known piper and after a year it was sold here. It was a nice flute, in sound and aesthetics, but nowhere as responsive, powerful or flexible in tone as the keyed Rudall flutes I already have, wooden and delrin. The holes and bore were smaller than both my Rudalls, to my surprise.

I´d want to try another maker who offers keyed instruments based in a solid Pratten design. My Rudalls are really nice, but I´d like to try something different before buying a Boehm haha.

Thanks for all your responses!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Juan Pablo Plata wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:25 am I´d want to try another maker who offers keyed instruments based in a solid Pratten design. My Rudalls are really nice, but I´d like to try something different before buying a Boehm haha.
Perhaps when Damian Thompson returns to making keyed flutes again.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

I second the recommendation for Rob Forbes’ delrin Prattens. Strong, reedy sound and good price.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

OP seems to be asking for a keyed Delrin flute, not the keyless ones most have recommended.