Pistol Case recommendation

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Pistol Case recommendation

Post by Ben Shaffer »

So I'm picking up a used McGee GLP Flute, It comes with a nice soft Case. That said though I would like to get a hard case of some sort. I would love to have a nice wooden case made by one of the Flute Makers, but I don't have the discretionary Cash. Could anyone recommend a Pistol Case by one of the major Firearm Stores? Walmart maybe?
an seanduine

Re: Pistol Case recommendation

Post by an seanduine »

Aside from re-arranging the padding inside, what would be wrong with this kit?
https://www.amazon.com/Baosity-Wooden-P ... ts&sr=1-46

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I actually have a Clarinet Case like this But how would you rearrange this? I know its got foam underneath
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

an seanduine wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:22 pm Aside from re-arranging the padding inside, what would be wrong with this kit?
https://www.amazon.com/Baosity-Wooden-P ... ts&sr=1-46

Bob
From my experience, it looks like the cheap crap from China, which are rarely usable as a box to bury frogs in. Plus that one is configured for a curved beginner's headjoint. I expect it would fall apart if you ripped up the lining & removed any blocks beneath it.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Ben Shaffer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:00 pm So I'm picking up a used McGee GLP Flute, It comes with a nice soft Case. That said though I would like to get a hard case of some sort. I would love to have a nice wooden case made by one of the Flute Makers, but I don't have the discretionary Cash. Could anyone recommend a Pistol Case by one of the major Firearm Stores? Walmart maybe?
Ben, I mostly use these. I have a stack of them. They're not, however, as easily usable for Pratten-style (long body piece) flutes, except sometimes at a diagonal.:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014VXJY8/

Shown here with pick & pluck. Now I usually have a small (Chinese) digital display hygrometer in the case, too.

You can use with the standard pyramid foam or replace with pick & pluck style for a more precise fit.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I80KG0I/
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Hey Kevin ,
that case may be the ticket
Could you get the Foam locally or you think its got to be ordered?
Is the foam cut through?
Did you pluck out the sections or did you need to do alot of cutting to get it fitted just right?
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

Ben Shaffer wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:14 am Hey Kevin ,
that case may be the ticket
Could you get the Foam locally or you think its got to be ordered?
Is the foam cut through?
Did you pluck out the sections or did you need to do alot of cutting to get it fitted just right?
It's probably rare to find the pick & pluck-type foam locally, although, you know, I actually didn't try any gun stores (they're all out of Los Angeles proper). I just bought mine from Amazon, per the link. You can often leave the foam in the top section as is (pyramid) or replace with solid (non-pluck) foam. The pick & pluck squares are not cut through - they each have a little stub connecting them to the next piece. Tear at the little stub, and strip out the squares you don't want there to create the appropriate cavity.

I then laid out the flute sections on the foam, marked which squares to remove, & plucked out with my fingers. Depth of 1 or 2 squares as needed, so there was still a layer below the cutouts (or you can have a separate layer of solid foam beneath. Not difficult. You do have to cut the overall shape to fit the case, but I removed the pyramid foam & used it as a template. You will notice some roughness around the edges of the case where I was sloppy, or cut to the next square.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The pistol case pictured above works fine. Can get it or one like it cheap at any
gun supply store. You can bring in the flute to make sure of the fit.
In my experience, you don't have to modify the foam lining.
The case is a foam sandwich that itself molds around the keyless flute.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

jim stone wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:52 am In my experience, you don't have to modify the foam lining.
The case is a foam sandwich that itself molds around the keyless flute.
TRUE. No modification is necessary to protect the instrument, and I think that's fine for temporary use. When I have a flute I know I'll be keeping for awhile, I prefer to modify the foam so I can place the accessories and not have anything shift while I'm closing the lid. Just like some people outfit their workbench with a pegboard for holding tools. You can just place them whever they fit, or you can get fancy & draw outlines that precisely indicate where each tool goes.