6 keys...are they really all necessary in ITM?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kmag
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I try my best to play the flute and pipes. I have been coming here for years and now are required to fill this out for an address change.

Re: 6 keys...are they really all necessary in ITM?

Post by kmag »

It really depends on what tunes you want to play and I do not play classical flute, just ITM. Not all all sessions are just ITM that I have gone to, some with a little Scottish, English and maybe some French Canadian thrown in. I did not use them much at first but through the years I have really grown to like and need them. I could play all night with an unkeyed flute, and I quite often do, but I would not be without a keyed flute now if I had my choice.

The only key I have never used is the Bb key, the long F would be next for me. Sometimes I use the C key and sometimes a cross fingered one but it is nice to have options. Not only to play the tunes but on ornaments I find the keys very useful. I did not miss them when I had an unkeyed flute but now I would really miss them. I am now arguing with myself on getting a foot with C#/C key.