GarySomers

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
davidbruce
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

GarySomers

Post by davidbruce »

Does anyone know if Gary Somers is making flutes again?
I have been looking for a small to medium bore, small to medium hole Delrin flute for some time.
From what I've read, Gary was making a very fine flute.
I hope everything is OK with him.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Re: GarySomers

Post by cac »

I'm not sure. He posted a few days ago on another thread and indicated that he was back, but his website is still listed as 'domain expired'. I have his RR model and like it very much. Chet (London, Ont.)
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

If I was looking for a small to medium bore flute, I would look into the ones made by Chris Norman. You said that you're looking for delrin, but his boxwood flutes are very beautiful. As an exceptional musician, I feel that he would be inspired to make instruments of high quality. I had the opportunity to try one myself, which I though was quite good, but I would really like to have more extensive playing time.

Check out the Irish Flute store, which usually has some really good keyless flutes in stock. $1,000 - $1,500 gets you a top-end keyless from a modern maker, with no wait time compared to buying new.

Due to ITM musicians desire for loud, session instruments, you have good options with antique flutes which are typically smaller holed. That is where the best price to quality ratio can be found, at least in keyed flutes - $1,500 - $2,000 for an antique cocus flute.
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I sent an email to Garry about ordering a Flute, just this week.
He told me he is currently not making Flutes
So there you have it
davidbruce
Tell us something.: I am looking for a delrin flute, Rudall and Rose design, small holes. Hope someone from this site can help me.

Post by davidbruce »

Thanks.