18,200 Repetitions Per Month

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

18,200 Repetitions Per Month

Post by Loren »

I’ve spent the better part of the last 40 years teaching people physical skills - primarily martial arts, boxing, fencing, rock climbing, and weight lifting - and one of the things that comes up really often is students stating they are less talented than someone else, or that they aren’t as physically gifted. My experience has been that this simply isn’t true, what is true is that the people who work the hardest and smartest miraculously become the most talented.

Today I ran across a short video of one of my former teachers talking about Bruce Lee’s dedication to training. This instructor, Chris Kent, had copies of Bruce’s training log, and in the video Chris talks about counting up the number of punches Bruce PRACTICED (not simply threw) within a random one month period. And yes, you guessed it 18,200 punches PRACTICED in a month. That is likely to make one extremely “Talented”.

As Chris mentions in the video, most of us have lives and can’t reasonably do that sort of practice, but I do think we tend to ascribe too much weight to “natural talent” and handicap ourselves to some extent by not realizing just how much our potential is in our own hands, no pun intended. And that being the case, we work towards our own low expectations.

Whether it’s struggles with embouchure, breathing, those pesky upper hand rolls, or any other playing challenge, we can become as good as we would like to be, if we practice in a focused, intelligent and engaged way, on a consistent basis.

Here’s the video for anyone interested, it’s just a few minutes long: https://youtu.be/SPcJayMww50
Last edited by Loren on Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: 18,200 Repetitions Per Month

Post by Sedi »

I couldn't agree more! It reminds me of an interview with Hilary Hahn I saw a long time ago, when she was already famous but still very young. The interviewer asked her, if she thinks, talent plays a big part in her success. If I remember correctly, she said, she practices 8 hrs a day, so talent plays a miniscule part, if it plays one at all.
Aother thing that comes to mind is in Quantz' flute instruction from 1752 which I am currently reading. He believed that people who think they are talented (maybe even do have talent) will often come less far in their endeavours because they think they don't need proper training and practice as much as other "less talented" people do.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

Talent Code: Greatness Isn’t Born. It’s Grown. Daniel Coyle

The research supports your theory. Work and effort move people toward greatness. Those with, “talent” often fall behind those with work ethic, over time.

I sure wish my left hand rolls were better. Back to work?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

we can become as good as we would like to be, if we practice in a focused, intelligent and engaged way, on a consistent basis.
In the case of technical skills, yes, mostly and up to a point. But there's more to music than technical/mechanical skills isn't there?
My brain hurts

Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:35 am
we can become as good as we would like to be, if we practice in a focused, intelligent and engaged way, on a consistent basis.
In the case of technical skills, yes, mostly and up to a point. But there's more to music than technical/mechanical skills isn't there?
You know, it’s funny, as I was finishing up my original post I thought to myself “Peter is going to comment that there is more to music than technical skill”, but it was late and I was tired, so I figured I’d just wait for it. 8)

Yes, there’s more to good music than shredding the tone holes like some crazed Uillean Piper :P
but every aspect of good music making can be taught, learned and improved with proper practice.

Once you start breaking down and focusing on what makes a thing danceable, or beautiful, or powerful, or emotionally moving, you see that artistic expression comes down to developing tools and attributes which then allows for the “freedom of expression”, and the choices that come with it, such as style, which may or may not be enjoyed by others :wink:

Do you disagree Peter? Do you believe that there are necessary skills for playing music well, and with good style and taste, that simply can’t be taught, learned, and improved through proper practice? Or, were you simply making the point that purely focusing on technique will not make you a good musician, which I would hope most of us already realize?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You can teach all sorts of things and to a point things can be learned. Yet, I often hear people playing who can roll off any tune with all the right bits in the right places and they sound uninteresting. 'A string of notes', 'a few yards of reels'or as a friend of mine put it some decades ago when asked about some playing 'they sound like they've been taught'. At other times you come across someone who may be out of practice or with limited technique and as soon as they strike up their music is compelling, you can't but listen and engage. The old people had terms for that 'she has great heart in her music, doesn't she'?', 'he has the touch, doesn't he?' that sort of thing. Some people have it and when you hear it, you will know. Whatever that is, it can't be taught. I can't even tell you what it is.

I agree with you there's an awful lot you can work on and if you have the hunger and the dilligence that will take you a long way. 'It's dark and lonesome work' as Jackie Daly put it. And it is something everybody has to do to make a fist of it, to put in the work. But that little bit extra that makes a great musician special, I am not so sure that can be learned or taught. And for that reason I don't think everybody can be as good as they want to, you can only do you're best and get as close as you can.
My brain hurts

Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 am You can teach all sorts of things and to a point things can be learned. Yet, I often hear people playing who can roll off any tune with all the right bits in the right places and they sound uninteresting. As a friend of mine put it some decades ago when asked about some playing 'they sound like they've been taught'. At other times you come across someone who may be out of practice or with limited technique and as soon as they strike up their music is compelling, you can't but listen and engage. The old people had terms for that 'she has great heart in her music, doesn't she'?', that sort of thing. Some people have it and when you hear it, you will know. Whatever that is, it can't be taught. I can't even tell you what it is.

I agree with you there's an awful lot you can work on and if you have the hunger and the dilligence that will take you a long way. 'It's dark and lonesome work' as Jackie Daly put it. And it is something everybody has to do, to put in the work. But that little bit extra that makes a great musician special, I am not so sure that can be learned or taught.
I absolutely agree, there are plenty of people who are technically quite proficient, but their playing doesn’t move you - “you argue well.... but you do not persuade” so to speak.

Where we differ is that I am quite clear that those who have that something special have simply developed, or developed to a higher degree, certain nuances of playing/performing that others simply haven’t put the effort into mastering. This could be due to laziness, ego, or most often perhaps, a simple lack of awareness - one can’t add,modify, or remove from one’s playing what one is unaware of. This is where a good teacher is invaluable, and lacking that, the development of your own listening and imitating skills.

My grandfather was an artist and the director of art education (back when we still had such a thing) for the Philadelphia public school system, one of the largest in the U.S. My grandmother taught piano at a very high level and was associated with one of the most prestigious U.S. music schools. I don’t say this to brag or attempt to impress, only to explain that from a young age I was exposed to the teaching of music and fine arts, at a very high level. With regards to music, my grandmother had a baby grand at the house and had students over for lessons on a regular basis when I was visiting, I listened or at least heard even when trying to block out :sleep: how she coached students through the nuances of upper level piano performance for important recitals - dynamics, rhythmic and timing subtleties, the use of a sustain, and so forth, all meant to add up to that “something special”, because once you get to a very high level, everyone has massive chops and those alone get you nowhere if you can’t make the listener feel something (they enjoy). Ultimately you have to identify the nuance skills and attributes, learn and gain command of them, then choose to employ them in an effective (meaningful to the listener) way.

It’s the same with Art, seems like a big mystery to the non-artist but the further you go down the rabbit hole of how great artists were produced back in the day, the less it seems the Michelangelos and Da Vincis had something special, they simply became special through focus, motivation, and hard work within a system that provided good instruction and plenty of talented peers to set a high bar if you were going to get work to feed yourself.

In the traditional/folk music world, one has historically been left to listen and develop on one’s own, which is a bit of a hit or miss approach that relies heavily on a person being extremely motivated while simultaneously having a naturally high tolerance for frustration. That’s changing thanks to the internet and the proliferation of instruction in traditional music as a “thing”. I believe we are already seeing more and better instruction, leading to a larger number of better players. Some will only be technically accomplished, however those that have teachers
who understand what makes for good music at a deeper level, will end up having the extra “something special”, if they apply themselves.

Of course not all teachers are going to be good at, or even aware of all the more nuanced elements, and how to teach these things. Understanding what you and other good players do, and then becoming good at teaching those “soft” skills to others is, in and of itself, a whole other skill set.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Where we differ is that I am quite clear that those who have that something special have simply developed, or developed to a higher degree, certain nuances of playing/performing that others simply haven’t put the effort into mastering. This could be due to laziness, ego, or most often perhaps, a simple lack of awareness - one can’t add,modify, or remove from one’s playing what one is unaware of. This is where a good teacher is invaluable, and lacking that, the development of your own listening and imitating skills.
I am really talking of the few who have a voice, whether they develop it extensively or not, that's another matter but some people just have something that sets them apart. That aside, I don't think we're in heavy disagreement.
In the traditional/folk music world, one has historically been left to listen and develop on one’s own, which is a bit of a hit or miss approach that relies heavily on a person being extremely motivated while simultaneously having a naturally high tolerance for frustration.
I am not sure that's overall true. Not all musicians (and I am talking of previous generations) received extensive tuition but there was always an awful lot of mentoring or dropping of hints involved and extensive contacts and exchanges between musicians. People would actively seek out other musicians who had something, music, technique or what have you, that they wanted. And I have often been surprised at the depth of knowledge among musicians about a large range of players and there repertoires and specific settings, techniques etc they had. They didn't lick it off the stones, as they say. Which is exactly what you said above, having the focus, dedication or as they say here 'the hunger' to seek out and apply knowledge and skills.
I believe we are already seeing more and better instruction, leading to a larger number of better players. Some will only be technically accomplished, however those that have teachers
who understand what makes for good music at a deeper level, will end up having the extra “something special”, if they apply themselves.
You know, UL (Limerick) is turning out an awful lot of very well taught young people. Opinions are quite divided about that. Technically brilliant and full of insight not everybody would agree better music comes out of there. Although some very fine players emerged from the programme, it's considered a mixed blessing at best, by some at least.
I think they're walking a fine line and shouold be wary of turning traditional music into a classical like performance style. Loosing what makes this music what it is along the way.
My brain hurts

Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Yes, it sounds like we are essentially in agreement.

With regards to developing one’s own voice, I’m with you on that, and it is certainly an additional....ingredient shall we say? I believe that it comes down to a combination of influences - who you’ve listened to and learned from - as well as your life experiences, personality, and perhaps what you’re trying to accomplish, along with having a desire to NOT sound exactly like someone else. I suppose I view this as being both an ongoing developmental process, as well as being the final piece of the puzzle as it were. I believe this can be coached to a certain extent, but not taught. You can point out to someone that they are sounding a bit too much like their favorite players, you can coach for creativity, you can direct students to other players and styles to listen to, and so forth, but ultimately one develops a focus and heads in a direction, which might be the road well traveled or off the beaten path. Picasso turned his gaze away from classical painting towards that which led him to cubism, and ultimately what made him unique.

I’m not suggesting we can purposely set out to create the next musical Picasso’s, nor should we.

As for the UL grads, yes, they seem to be coming out quite technically proficient. It will be interesting to see where they take those playing skills in the years to come. I live quite close to one of the most famous music schools in the U.S. Berklee in Boston. It has a reputation of turning out very capable musicians, but they are getting students relatively early in their musical development and only have so much time. Amazing musicians from multiple genres have come out of that school, but many merely play well and sound as if they need some “finishing”. But, to bring it back around, those famous Berklee grads, when you read or hear interviews with them, it becomes clear that they went above and beyond what their peers at school did with regards to study, practice, listening, transcribing,seeing every live show they could, taking every gig that came their way and on and on.

At any rate, my purpose for posting this thread was to provide encouragement, as well as a bit of perspective, for people who wish their playing was better, but who, for whatever reasons, feel a lack of natural talent is holding them back. It’s not. Everyone has the potential to play well and in a musically pleasing fashion, one just needs a good plan, perhaps some proper instruction, and then the motivation and persistence to play and practice properly on a consistent basis, even if that’s only 15 minutes a day. But the devil is in the details and if you’re working at it and not making progress, then you need to seek some help to get you moving forward.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I should add that I was also trying to make the point that people often expect results too quickly, we see that all the time here on the forums.

Having problems with embouchure, rolls, rhythm, learning tunes, etc. etc.? Well, How many good reps have you done??
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Loren wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:54 am how she coached students through the nuances of upper level piano performance for important recitals - dynamics, rhythmic and timing subtleties, the use of a sustain, and so forth, all meant to add up to that “something special”
It can be a double-edged sword. Of course teachers need to teach/nurture interpretation as well as technique, but I sometimes felt with some of mine they were teaching their interpretation as much or more than the actual instrument. Whereas I remember the last piano teacher I had (who taught me far more than that) commenting on some little timing thing I did to say it was a really musical thing to do...
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Peter Duggan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:03 am
Loren wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:54 am how she coached students through the nuances of upper level piano performance for important recitals - dynamics, rhythmic and timing subtleties, the use of a sustain, and so forth, all meant to add up to that “something special”
It can be a double-edged sword. Of course teachers need to teach/nurture interpretation as well as technique, but I sometimes felt with some of mine they were teaching their interpretation as much or more than the actual instrument. Whereas I remember the last piano teacher I had (who taught me far more than that) commenting on some little timing thing I did to say it was a really musical thing to do...

Well of course this is a great point you make Peter, and I would say that certainly in the classical world many teachers are quite strict and it’s a “my way or the highway” sort of thing, the assumption being that the teacher is the teacher because they know what you don’t.

In other genres of music the teacher often takes on a somewhat different role, particularly when students aren’t being coached for competitions.

Regardless, I do think it’s incumbent on the student to pay attention to the effect different style related elements have on the music, regardless of whether you’re specifically being coached on how to play more musically, or simply being told how to play a passage based on what your teacher wants. Either way you learn to understand the impact of each little change, so that you can later apply that learning to your own music.

It’s different coaching/teaching styles for different endeavors though: Classical performance in the recital hall for auditions vs learning to play trad/folk, pop, or rock for one’s own enjoyment. Certainly my approach to boxing classes is quite different for those wanting to step in the ring vs. those boxing purely for fitness.

Regardless, a teacher can be putting it all out for you, but often the student is not picking up what the teacher is laying down. Sometimes it takes years for the lessons to hit home, although that needn’t necessarily be the case, depends on the student, and the teacher. In both cases some are better than others.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Loren wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:31 am Regardless, I do think it’s incumbent on the student to pay attention to the effect different style related elements have on the music, regardless of whether you’re specifically being coached on how to play more musically, or simply being told how to play a passage based on what your teacher wants. Either way you learn to understand the impact of each little change, so that you can later apply that learning to your own music.
Yes, I think this is key too. I'd say the best teaching, rather than simply saying 'slow down here', 'place this note/chord' or whatever, asks 'what do you think about a little more room here?', 'what does this do for the music?', 'why might you do this?' etc. And the best teachers have it and the best students learn from it! :)
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This discussion reminded me of this beautifully wrought video. I post it not by way of argument but because it is charming. Bach agrees with Loren, Frederick the Great is less convinced.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

This discussion reminded me of this beautifully wrought video. I post it not by way of argument but because it is charming. Bach agrees with Loren, Frederick the Great is less convinced.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... tion=click