It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: Sweden
There's an Eb Hamilton 6 key flute for sale on E-bay now. Location Plesio, CO, Italy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/S-C-Hamilton-E ... SwrKNf8yAt


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:01 am
Posts: 24
His flute will only get fewer and fewer.I don't know if the price is worth it.But this flute doesn't look very good from the outside.


Last edited by Qiufan Zhu on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:15 am
Posts: 989
Location: New Hampshire, USA, or Co Clare...
Looks a little dry, doesn't it. Needs some oiling. Inside as well, probably.

_________________
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 260
Location: PA
This is a very interesting Hamilton flute.
It has a squared embouchure hole, a fully lined head joint, leaf springs, adjustable crown, and a makers stamp on the tuning slide.
And being Rudall style, it must have been a custom build.
These all are elements that he didn't use in his later flutes.
I'd be curious to know the date of this flute, and who it was made for.

Beautiful instrument.

_________________
http://www.toppish.com
https://www.facebook.com/toppish


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 4391
Location: Los Angeles
Flexismart wrote:
This is a very interesting Hamilton flute.
It has a squared embouchure hole, a fully lined head joint, leaf springs, adjustable crown, and a makers stamp on the tuning slide.
And being Rudall style, it must have been a custom build.
These all are elements that he didn't use in his later flutes.
I'd be curious to know the date of this flute, and who it was made for.

Beautiful instrument.

And no tenon reinforcements.

_________________
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
http://www.worldtrad.org


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:13 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: Sweden
I wonder though how often you'd get to use an €3600 6-key Eb flute outside your home? Were there many Eb sessions before covid-19? Perhaps if you're making a CD, or playing a gig?

For €3811 you can buy A Stephen Morvan 8-key D flute from the Irish flute store:

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... ey-pratten


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:01 am
Posts: 24
Steampacket wrote:
I wonder though how often you'd get to use an €3600 6-key Eb flute outside your home? Were there many Eb sessions before covid-19? Perhaps if you're making a CD, or playing a gig?

For €3811 you can buy A Stephen Morvan 8-key D flute from the Irish flute store:

https://www.irishflutestore.com/collect ... ey-pratten



I think which key is not important.But this is a Hamilton flute.


Last edited by Qiufan Zhu on Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:50 am
Posts: 1500
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland
"I think which key is not important". I doubt very much that many people will agree with that statement. The opportunities for playing that flute in a session are extremely limited.

"But this a Hamilton flute". And no doubt an excellent instrument, probably bound for someone's "collection".

_________________
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: Sweden
Quote:
I think which key is not important.But this a Hamilton flute. Quifan Zhu


I disagree the key is very important if you're taking the flute to a session, or to play Irish traditional music with other musicians at a gig. They may not wish, or want, to play tunes in Eb. No problem of course if you're playing solo, or the other musicians have agreed to play/ or tune to Eb.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:01 am
Posts: 24
Steampacket wrote:
Quote:
I think which key is not important.But this a Hamilton flute. Quifan Zhu


I disagree the key is very important if you're taking the flute to a session, or to play Irish traditional music with other musicians at a gig. They may not wish, or want, to play tunes in Eb. No problem of course if you're playing solo, or the other musicians have agreed to play/ or tune to Eb.


I guess most of the members in this forum have more than one flute.Why not choose a proper flute to play with others?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 2922
Location: Sweden
Quote:
I guess most of the members in this forum have more than one flute.Why not choose a proper flute to play with others? Quifan Zhu


Yes, I'm sure the Hamilton Eb flute is a fine instrument, and whoever buys it already has a D flute. If you really like playing in Eb then go for it. I suspect though that the owner is selling it as it doesn't get played much.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm
Posts: 260
Location: PA
I asked Hammy about this Eb flute.
Here's his reply:

"That flute was in fact a standard Eb...of its time.
It's a really early one, sometime in the mid 80s, so at that time I was doing most of the features that you've mentioned as standard.
It is a R & R model, and would have a fully lined head. I think it dates from before when I used to put a number on them.
Seems to be in fairly good condition, although the touch of the long F seems bent...a very minor thing."

_________________
http://www.toppish.com
https://www.facebook.com/toppish


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.528s | 11 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)