Two cork bumpers on flute keys missing - is it intentional?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
ertwert
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Two cork bumpers on flute keys missing - is it intentional?

Post by ertwert »

Hi,
I recently noticed that two keys of my flute (g# and short f) are missing cork bumpers. Do you think the maker actually forgot about them and is it bad for the wood if they keep missing? I think the blocks for the keys are a bit short and I can hardly see how especially the short f key could open up enough if it had a cork bumper. And I think even now the short f key produces a noticable weaker f than the long f key.

I plan on sending the flute maker a mail but would like to get some third party opinion first.

Thanks!
Sedi
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: Two cork bumpers on flute keys missing - is it intention

Post by Sedi »

If the key is technically constructed to not hit the wood of the flute when you use it, I guess a maker will not use a cork then. But I don't have a keyed wooden flute, only a boehm flute and not all keys on that one have corks -- like the trill keys for example that never touch the flute body when used.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Construction varies according to the maker. If sprung correctly, the keys should not touch the wood, so no bumper (on either the key, or cork dot embedded in the wood) would be needed.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
ertwert
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ertwert »

thanks for the replies so far!
The flute is a block mounted one and both keys are definitely touching the wood..
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

If your flute is from a living maker ask them. I am sure they would be able to tell you their intent. And don't be shy if you got it used. Most makers will be glad to advise you.

Making a bumper is very easy. Cork can be sliced from the inside of a wine bottle cork or you can pick up strips intended for re-corking tenons online if you don't need anything too thick. You can get clean cork at craft suppliers. It used to be something you could pick up at the hardware store, but I don't know if they will still have that on hand.

When I needed to add a bit to a key I used a razor blade to shape it and contact cement. Depending on the key there may be some shaping and beveling you'd want to do. I am sure there are makers or repairers here who can give you great advice.

And if you hate the idea of doing it yourself, the maker is half way around the world and you have a band instrument repairer nearby, this is something a decent clarinet or oboe tech could figure out. Good Luck!