Women fluters

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Women fluters

Post by Steampacket »

An afterthought. I've just returned from a long walk in -13 centigrade, listening to Catherine McEvoy's The home ruler. I hear nothing "girly", or feminine, or, for that matter nowt, manly, or masculine about the flute playing at all. Just a brilliant musician playing Irish traditional music on the flute with great technical ability, feeling, and tone.

So prehaps Aoife Granville meant that female flute players just play the flute as best as they can and don't try to sound like men as there is no male "flute sound". I'm inspired by flute players such as Catherine McEvoy, because they are great flute players.
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Re: Women fluters

Post by Katharine »

Steampacket wrote:Steve wrote that Aoife seems to have said that some female flute players don't want to play/sound like male flute players. Perhaps this just indicates that they would rather chose a female flute player as a roll model instead of a male flute player?
Possibly. There's a definite validity in wanting to support minority players. It could also indicate that they don't want to be accused of trying to be male flute players; or that they don't want to appear to be saying that "playing like a girl" is a negative thing, so they don't want to try not to play in a way stereotypically seen as "female." (Yeah, everything comes with societal baggage...)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.