flute roll

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
PB+J
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

flute roll

Post by PB+J »

For Christmas I got this tool roll from Etsy

https://www.etsy.com/listing/753951364/ ... _purchases

You can order it in different sizes: i got the 16 inch size. it has a small zippered pouch that can hold a flute swab , cork grease, and 3-4 whistles up to 16 inches ( sorry, I typed 20 inches before by mistake)

I can get three flutes in it--a keyless, a keyed that shares the headjoint with the keyless, and a Bb. I could easily get a third headjoint in there

My wife sewed a piece of soft fabric inside, so the flutes aren't touching each other. I'm pretty sure you could get the maker to do that.

It's nicely made of sturdy canvas. If normal life ever returns it seems like a good way to transport a few flutes and whistles

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: flute roll

Post by Sedi »

Very nice! My wife made something like this for my whistles. One for the high D's and one for the low D's.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

I wrote to the maker and sent him the pictures, and he replied that he would make a second design incorporating the "flap."
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I'd probably be slightly worried about putting a keyed flute in there though. Couldn't the keys get damaged?
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Sedi wrote:I'd probably be slightly worried about putting a keyed flute in there though. Couldn't the keys get damaged?
I suppose they could--I'm not planing to throw it around though, and it's not an expensive keyed flute. If it's rolled so the keyed section are on the inside they ought to be pretty well protected.
Sedi
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Would be ideal for my flutes, as they have more of a "tool"-character anyway :D . But I play just one at the moment. And they are in one piece, so I'd need something where the separate sleeves are long enough.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I made something similar for a friend last year. But I'd hesitate to roll a keyed flute. They can be sensitive little buggers. Perhaps if a fleece lining were added it would be OK for keyed flutes. But it does look nice for keyless.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

PB+J wrote:
Sedi wrote:I'd probably be slightly worried about putting a keyed flute in there though. Couldn't the keys get damaged?
I suppose they could--I'm not planing to throw it around though
As a former woodwind repair person, I can say without reservation that the majority of damage I saw came from “unplanned” throwing around :D

Funny how that works.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

PB+J wrote:I'm not plan[n]ing to throw it around though
Good choice. Flute flinging never ends well.
https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/ma ... courtroom/
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

stiofan wrote:Flute flinging never ends well.
https://www.classicfm.com/music-news/ma ... courtroom/
"The flute has been approached for comment."

What the ...?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
PB+J

Post by PB+J »

Maybe I could pack one flute just for throwing. Assembled, you get more throw weight but disassembled you get more throws
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Whew. I was worried. But it was only a metal flute....