Keyed Copley or Keyed Barna Gabos?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Thedulcimeric
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking for a new flute. Love Dave Copley and Barna Gabos. I currently play a delrin model D and have been playing Irish music for 25 years. I have really enjoyed the information from flute makers on this forum.

Keyed Copley or Keyed Barna Gabos?

Post by Thedulcimeric »

I've been playing Irish music for 25 years and have been playing flute specifically for ten. The day has finally come for me to upgrade from my Copley Delrin in D to a keyed wood flute. I've been wishing for keys on several tunes I already play so splurging on keys is a no-brainer for me.

I have narrowed down my price and wait times to Dave Copley or Barna Gabos. Both seems like exceptional flute makers. Since I already have a flute from Dave it seems it would make sense to go with him. I love my current flute and know that the quality would be exceptional. On the other hand, I don't expect there will be much difference in sound, really. I am attracted to the slightly edgier bite I hear in Barna's flutes - though I haven't heard it in person (thanks Covid!). It seems like he will be building flutes for many years to come having a lifetime warranty (especially with keys) seems attractive. I have only recently been digging into posts on here and have found some things about CITES and ABW that makes me wonder if I'll have issues getting my new flute through US customs if I order from Barna.

I would appreciate any comments you have especially if you own wooden flutes from either or both of these makers. If I had more money I'd buy both! Thanks in advance.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Re: Keyed Copley or Keyed Barna Gabos?

Post by Jayhawk »

Dave Copley is great to work with...I have an 8 key Delrin flute he made me. Most likely, you will sound like you on whatever flute you get. The player makes much more a difference than anything else. Where are you located? A within country maker is great...much easier to deal with if you need future repairs or want anything changed.

Just my $.02 worth...YMMV.

Eric
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Wow, the idea of an eight-key delrin flute makes my heart beat faster.
How does it sound?
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I think it sounds amazing...and it sounds just like me compared to any other flute I've played. My band mates love it...I have zero urge to get another flute and I've owned a ton of flutes from antique American flutes (Firth, Hall and Pond) to modern flutes. I like what he does with a flute be it wood or Delrin.

Eric
Thedulcimeric
Tell us something.: Looking for a new flute. Love Dave Copley and Barna Gabos. I currently play a delrin model D and have been playing Irish music for 25 years. I have really enjoyed the information from flute makers on this forum.

Post by Thedulcimeric »

Jayhawk wrote:Dave Copley is great to work with...I have an 8 key Delrin flute he made me. Most likely, you will sound like you on whatever flute you get. The player makes much more a difference than anything else. Where are you located? A within country maker is great...much easier to deal with if you need future repairs or want anything changed.

Just my $.02 worth...YMMV.

Eric

I am in Missouri, USA. I have been looking into making such an international purchase. It seems to me, now that CITES allows exemptions for musical instruments of ABW, that it would just boil down to import taxes in the amount of 4.5% specifically as a woodwind instrument coming from Hungary. I assume I would pay this at the post office when I pick it up. Has anyone had any experience buying international like this, not from a dealer?

The more I listen to Barna's flutes, the more I am leaning toward purchasing his, hence all this headache of research. I feel like he could seriously be up and coming among the top names in the not so distant future. Not that I care about that, but I like the flute.

Eric S
Thedulcimeric

Post by Thedulcimeric »

jim stone wrote:Wow, the idea of an eight-key delrin flute makes my heart beat faster.
How does it sound?
Jim, I think we know each other from the Golden Gate Dulcimer Club! ... Eric S