Anyone own a Tony dixon 3 piece delrin? Upgrading worth it?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
belayatron
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Anyone own a Tony dixon 3 piece delrin? Upgrading worth it?

Post by belayatron »

Hi,

I have a tony Dixon 3 piece delrin flute (this is different/better than the usual TD pvc ones).
I’ve been playing whistle about 2.5 years and flute about 1.5 and loving the flute more and more.
I have small hands and have to use the pipers grip for both and still it’s a stretch on my tony Dixon.

I’ve started to get whistful envy of some of the next level up flutes (m&e and Damian Thompson delrins etc) and considering getting one...

I was wondering, does/did anyone own the tony Dixon 3 point piece delrin?
If so, do they think upgrading to a m&e, Damian Thompson or similar flute would make tunes easier to play, or merely make the tone better (in whistle world, whistles don’t make a huge difference to the ease of playing, more micro improvements/changes to the quality of the tone).

Thankyou for your help :-)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Anyone own a Tony dixon 3 piece delrin? Upgrading worth

Post by chas »

I had a Dixon three-piece some years ago. I found that flute VERY easy to play, but eventually found it kind of bland. By that I mean that the sound was pretty mellow and I couldn't vary the sound that much. That flute sounded like itself.

I would absolutely recommend upgrading. I don't think the M&E is that big a step up, and I haven't played a Damian Thompson, but if you're into polymer flutes, my favorite is by Dave Copley. Others will ring in, I'm sure, with their suggestions.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Dave C will put in ergonomics on the third and sixth hole, if you tell him
you want them. This really helps make the flute comfortable.
Squeeky Elf

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I have a Copley delrin in F that is a pleasure to play.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
JoFo

Post by JoFo »

I've had a Dixon 3 piece for a few years. At first I thought it sounded quite bad. But after improving as a player and also modifying the embouchure hole it now sounds quite good. It (now) has a lively tone and is very easy to play.
No doubt an M&E (I have three) will sound better, but it will probably be harder to play and have bigger finger stretches and bigger holes. A Casey Burns folk flute would probably be a good upgrade for you. Good sound and very easy to play.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have a Tony Dixon 3 piece low 'D', a Damian Thompson 2 piece low 'D' (with offset holes), an M&E low 'F' 3 piece, (& a Davy Angus 3 piece aluminium low 'D', plus the Tony Dixon ABS low 'D' one piece).

The M&E is heavy, the TD 3 piece is nicely balanced & fairly easy to play, the DT 2 piece would be as easy as the TD, only, I personally, don't really like the offset holes, I don't need them, though I thought I might, but would make it easier for smaller hands, I'm sure.

I'd say that a Damian Thompson would be a nice addition, & likely to be easier to play, if you got the offset holes.
(You'd probably struggle with an M&E owing to its weight.)

Hope that's of some help. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
belayatron
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Post by belayatron »

Thankyou so much everyone that’s answered my question absolutely perfectly (I didn’t expect many/any people to own it!)

It sounds like it’s exactly the same with whistles in that a more expensive one won’t necessarily make it easier to play, other than having offset holes (2 of you say the TD is actually very easy), which would have been my main reason for upgrading, so I think I’ll stick with what I have for the moment and try to get better/think about upgrading in the future when we can hopefully test instruments again :-)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

If you are struggling with the pipers grip, maybe try using your little finger on the lowest hole, just because it's not the regular way, doesn't make it wrong. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Flutern
Tell us something.: I have a keen interest in wooden flutes (modern and antique), early music (Renaissance, Baroque), Romantic music and Irish Traditional Music of course! I also play the clarinet (my first instrument) and I've also started learning the cittern.

Post by Flutern »

fatmac wrote:If you are struggling with the pipers grip, maybe try using your little finger on the lowest hole, just because it's not the regular way, doesn't make it wrong. :)
Until you want to start using keys :wink:
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
leydog
Tell us something.: I first encountered C&F almost 20 years ago when I became interested in learning to play the whistle. I renewed that interest this year, with the help of the resources on YouTube. In addition to dedicating serious time to the whistle, I also decided to invest in learning to play the flute. Tired of hoping others would ask the questions I have, I decided it was time to join the discussion/session, rather than continue sitting on the sideline with my flute/whistle on my lap, so to speak. So I ask permission to make my contribution.

Post by leydog »

I, too, have a TD 3-piece delrin flute--my first. I thought it would be better for learning and developing an embouchure than the TD ABS two-piece. The embouchure development was off and on, though mostly progressing well. But a bad left shoulder and short reach in the right hand made playing frustratingly uncomfortable.

After almost a year I bit the bullet and bought a Casey Burns ergonomic small-hand folk flute. Progress has been much faster and I feel like practicing, even though the left arm still tires easily. Being able to rotate the three sections independently in addition to the hole placement and size has allowed me to focus on the embouchure, which is also developing thanks to Casey's care with its shape.

I've not tried any of the other flutes mentioned, though the Copley looks attractive. But I do not regret the change. A three-piece with ergonomic finger hole placement can make a big difference.

JR
Never too old to start a new adventure.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

If you get interested in a Casey Burns Folk Flute, I have one for sale right now. It's the standard model (so not the small-handed type) but with ergonomic offset hole configuration. I've only had it since September, so it's in perfect condition. https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 5&t=111452
chas

Post by chas »

leydog wrote:Progress has been much faster and I feel like practicing
Of course, the best flute is the one that makes you want to play. ;)
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jim_B1

Post by Jim_B1 »

I have a Dixon 3pc from 20 something years ago that I learned on, I still play it a lot even though I have "better" flutes (Seery, Burns and Olwell). It's convenient to keep assembled, sounds good, is a very easy player and pretty much indestructible. It also makes a great travel flute.
Never getting rid of mine.

That said, when I got my Burns I did want to play more but the Dixon has a smaller embouchure so it taught me a lot of focus.
-Jim

... Still not good, trying though :)