US Postal Service

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dcopley
antispam: No

US Postal Service

Post by dcopley »

If you are thinking of shipping a flute in the US you can expect problems with the US Post Office. Priority Mail which normally takes 2 to 3 days has been taking anywhere from 5 days to 3 weeks. The tracking system is only giving occasional updates so you can go a week or so without knowing where the package is. We've switched to UPS for essential shipments and will wait until after the holidays wherever possible.
Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
www.copleyflutes.com
Dan A.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Re: US Postal Service

Post by Dan A. »

dcopley wrote:The tracking system is only giving occasional updates so you can go a week or so without knowing where the package is. We've switched to UPS for essential shipments.
I've had a package sent UPS "Mail Innovations" recently. UPS transferred it to a Post Office facility less than half an hour from me, and it's been in "pre-shipment" for five days! Good to know that you've switched to UPS for essential shipments; they're much more reliable than USPS these days.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, there are statements on the USPS site that they are overwhelmed (too many packages, not enough staff (Covid)) and one can expect a two or three day delay. I just received a package from them and it arrived three days late. They are game (I've talked to them) but short-tempered.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I was just talking to someone who'd shipped a valuable item via overnight mail on Dec. 3. It was delivered yesterday. USPS had never guaranteed two or three day delivery for Priority, but they've always guaranteed one day shipping. Now overnight is "1-2 days", and it doesn't appear to be guaranteed. My buddy's case was chalked up to Covid difficulties.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Gcobean
Tell us something.: Paddy Maloney rules! Ok, seriously though, I love the Chieftains. I'm here for whistle and flute discussions. Looking at the classifieds as well.

Post by Gcobean »

I thought Dave was going to offer to drive them to your door :)
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Well, since I retired from the USPS, I have some thoughts on this. . .or maybe just ventilation. This fine old government service is mandated by the US Constitution. Write to your political representatives, either party, and tell them a.) that you vote, and b.) the PO is an essential service (again as referenced in the US Constitution) and should be run as such.
End of Rant
Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Gcobean wrote:I thought Dave was going to offer to drive them to your door :)
Hmmm, I don't think I can match that level of service.....

I guess this is not surprising - the combination of higher volumes of particularly parcel mail and the increasing risk of danger to postal employees who are often from among higher-risk populations. Plus Christmas.

We saw some pretty weird aberrations to postal service during our worst times, and we got off a lot lighter than most other countries, due to the dogged perseverance of our State leaders, often against sustained attack from our Federal Government and parts of the press! Can't remember the exact times but it was something like 6 weeks from here to Northern Ireland, while I had paid for 3-5 business days service.

But people's lives are on the line, we can but grin and bear it. OK, the grin isn't mandatory....
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

LOCKED FOR EXCISION - MOD

POLITICS EXCISED. PAUSE MAINTAINED FOR A HOPED FOR PERIOD OF CALM - MOD