Loudest keyless flutes (or largest bores)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Loudest keyless flutes (or largest bores)

Post by tradlad123 »

Seeking opinions/suggestions on the loudest keyless flutes one can find with maybe a year wait max (may or may not have large bores, not sure).
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Loudest keyless flutes (or largest bores)

Post by kkrell »

Jil Lehart
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There may be something louder than an Olwell Pratten, but the Olwell Pratten is loud enough.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

A Hammy Hamilton or a Pratten model from Olwell or Gallagher would be your best bet. My Lehart is also quite loud, but those three are well-known for volume and are probably louder.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

bigsciota wrote:A Hammy Hamilton or a Pratten model from Olwell or Gallagher would be your best bet. My Lehart is also quite loud, but those three are well-known for volume and are probably louder.
I did not mention those because:
1) Hammy isn't taking orders. Not sure it's the loudest flute, but does have a unique sound profile that seems to cut through a session.
2) Not sure a year (MAX) is sufficient for an Olwell.
3) Not sure a year (MAX) is sufficient for a John Gallagher, & Seth Gallagher is not taking orders, to my knowledge (listed as a 3.5-4 year wait for keyed & keyless).

Best bet may be what they can find in the used market. For instance, I have a Seth Gallagher keyless (used) I might offer for sale, as I have acquired a 6-keyed version.
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

Thanks! I think I can be flexible about the one year max.
Just haven't tried enough flutes (and hoping to not have to :)) to know which one is the loudest.
I have a standard Lejeune flute that is decent too, but not sure where it sits compared to the Gallagher or Olwell on that metric...
Also my flute skills may be the inhibiting factor on loudness here too, so more opinions always welcome.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I have an (delrin type) M&E in 'F' that is quite loud, (to my ears at least).

Others I have that are quieter; Tony Dixon ABS one piece & delrin 3 piece; Damian Thompson 2 piece; all these have pleasing tones & are fairly loud, but the M&E is louder.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

I got my new keyless Olwell one year after ordering, almost to the day.

In my opinion loudness should not be a goal in itself. Tone, yes, volume when playing with other people quickly becomes a competition :)
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

tradlad123 wrote:Thanks! I think I can be flexible about the one year max.
Just haven't tried enough flutes (and hoping to not have to :)) to know which one is the loudest.
I have a standard Lejeune flute that is decent too, but not sure where it sits compared to the Gallagher or Olwell on that metric...
Also my flute skills may be the inhibiting factor on loudness here too, so more opinions always welcome.
The Lejeune flute is plenty loud (if you want to be loud). It is as good as any, to include Olwell. My preference is actually Lejeune for volume and tone. It is very satisfying for me to play. Ultimately, satisfaction is what counts. It comes down to personal preference, and so only you can decide.
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

kkrell wrote:
bigsciota wrote:A Hammy Hamilton or a Pratten model from Olwell or Gallagher would be your best bet. My Lehart is also quite loud, but those three are well-known for volume and are probably louder.
I did not mention those because:
1) Hammy isn't taking orders. Not sure it's the loudest flute, but does have a unique sound profile that seems to cut through a session.
2) Not sure a year (MAX) is sufficient for an Olwell.
3) Not sure a year (MAX) is sufficient for a John Gallagher, & Seth Gallagher is not taking orders, to my knowledge (listed as a 3.5-4 year wait for keyed & keyless).

Best bet may be what they can find in the used market. For instance, I have a Seth Gallagher keyless (used) I might offer for sale, as I have acquired a 6-keyed version.
I was thinking John, and yes, I was more thinking the used market, should have specified. Olwell's list was about a year for keyless last I checked, not sure about Gallagher's, but since no budget was given I figured one of those would pop up sometime on the used market within a year. I've only heard one John Gallagher Pratten but oh boy was that a cannon, depending on his waiting list that'd probably be my pick for volume alone. His Rudalls are quite nice as well.
John Driscoll
Tell us something.: I've been playing Irish flute and whistles since January 2016. It's been a great departure from percussion, which has been my primary form of musicianship since I was a boy.

Post by John Driscoll »

I've been at it for about five years now, and I must say that the more I improve, the louder my flutes get :D

This is certainly an oft-debated topic. But it seems the general consensus is that overall volume is one thing, whereas tone is another, and most often it's the tone that "cuts" through at a noisy session. In my opinion, bright, buzzy, reedy tone is easier to hear than warm, deep, round tone when you're playing amongst a variety of instruments at a larger session.

I recently received some advice from Isaac Alderson: practice your third octave notes everyday. That's the quickest way to improve your embouchure and get the most flexibility of tone from your flute. (Isaac plays an Olwell Pratten-style, btw)

Does anyone know what kind of flute Conal O Grada plays? I can't imagine he has a hard time being heard at a session...
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

@ John Driscoll I hate to be a ditto head, but ditto this:
I've been at it for about five years now, and I must say that the more I improve, the louder my flutes get
Also this:
...practice your third octave notes everyday. That's the quickest way to improve your embouchure and get the most flexibility of tone from your flute.
My large-holed Rudall by John Gallagher is quite loud, with great tone (dark and resonant). The more I push it, the more it delivers in both tone and volume. However, my own embouchure progress is really the source of the improvement.
tradlad123

Post by tradlad123 »

Does anyone know what kind of flute Conal O Grada plays? I can't imagine he has a hard time being heard at a session...
I think a Hammy...

Thanks, great opinions here. I feel I should focus more on the embouchure at this moment but if I feel I have pushed my current flute to the limit (not sure when or how ;) I will come back to this post.

Also, to clarify, I am not looking for volume to cut through a session. Just want get a flute I can push very far.
kkrell

Post by kkrell »

tradlad123 wrote:
I think a Hammy...
I believe it's a flute Conal built himself, at Hammy's workshop (and probably under Hammy's direction).
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I have no idea on the time frame, but I've heard a Glenn Watson flute played. It stood up well to Olwell Pratten volume.