Loose ring on the foot joint

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
tradlad123
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Loose ring on the foot joint

Post by tradlad123 »

I noticed on one of my flutes, the last ring on the foot joint has gone loose enough to rotate, but I haven't tried to do it a lot or pull it out. It doesn't fall off or anything.

Common causes?
Anything to worry about?
Should I contact the maker or if there is a quick fix to this?

Thanks in advance!
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Re: Loose ring on the foot joint

Post by kkrell »

A common cause is dehydration. Is the flute properly humidified?
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

in addition to Kevin's comment, I'd say always contact the maker.
In the instructions from Solen Lesouef it states to never attempt to glue loose rings on. They have a structural function, so while the ring is loose the tendon is more vulnerable (unless it's the very bottom ring, I don't think there's a lot of pressure on that one)
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Here is the most referenced earlier discussion, with suggested fixes (after humidifying):

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=105605

There are some comments on techniques by flutemakers and repair persons.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Humidify immediately. Not necessarily dehydration but if it is, you stand to
have a good deal wrong if you don't. Usually dehydration.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

The following comment is assuming you have a wooden flute. For delrin glue would be fine, but:

I'm interested in the fact that no one suggested oiling with a natural almond oil. I have had that issue with a flute or two and oiling seems to do the trick. I also use spinning rings as a sign it is past time to oil the whole flute. It is indeed usually a sign that your flute is drying out a bit. A friend got too busy to deal with this one year and actually lost the ring off the bottom of his olwell. It was no where to be found. I happened to have a size 7 silicone wedding ring lying about. So I gave that to him to protect the flute until he could sort it out.

Oiling and keeping the flute humidified will likely avert that crisis. Glue will not be needed. If you can contact the maker of your flute they may have oiling methods they recommend.
Charles Montgomery
Tell us something.: Looking for advice on Celtic Flutes and other instruments. I amuse myself playing the Boehm Flute, Bamboo, and a few antique flutes that I have found. I am retiring soon from my career as a consultant in the Energy Industry. Chiff and Fipple looks interesting. Some day I would try to play the Uillienn Pipes but these look hard and complex. I sang Baritone in the choir at my church (Unitarian) in Providence before the Pandemic hit.

Post by Charles Montgomery »

That happened to me on my delrin flute. Should I be oiling it?
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Some woods & some flutes are more susceptible to shrinking than others.

I have a blackwood, flute from a respected modern maker with that problem. I live in a dry climate and he makes them in a more humid climate, so that is a likely explanation. With fairly heavy humidification I am able to tighten up some of the rings, but a couple of them never really tighten all the way.

I'm thinking about putting thread under the ring to keep from losing any of them.

I did consider a carbon fiber band, but ultimately, the flute just needs tighter rings, probably a saw-kerf and a resolder.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Charles Montgomery wrote:That happened to me on my delrin flute. Should I be oiling it?

Oil will have no effect on a delrin flute. Subtle changes in size in wooden flutes only happen when the wood absorbs oil or moisture or releases oil or moisture.

The nice thing about delrin is its stability. Oil and humidity don't have any effect. That's why so many people like them. They are relatively impervious to changes in temperature and humidity. You could easily put your delrin flute in the bottom of a canoe and take a jaunt, never worrying about splashing on it or submerging it entirely.

In the case of a delrin flute you could just shim it with a bit of thread or use a glue that would stick. I'm not sure what glue you would use. Contact cement would be my first bet. It is pretty cheap and comes in small tubes. With contact cement you put a layer on each surface of the items you are trying to stick together, let them dry a bit, then press them together. You don't need any fancy clamping. The two surfaces stick to each other nicely. But there are better minds than mine regarding whether that is the best glue to use.
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Post by tradlad123 »

Thanks all for the tips.
I will try humidifying it more.
I have a couple other flutes that are kept in the same room and don't seem to have any issue, so maybe the rings are looser on this one to begin with.