It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:23 am 

I think that quite a few members of this forum have, or have had at some point, the Aulos AF3 "Stanesby Jr." baroque traverso. Have you ever tried to remove the cap? Is it possible without breaking it? And it would be disappointing to break it off just to discover that the cork is glued to the bore (which I could expect). The idea is of course to move the cork to make the octaves a bit wider (they are terribly narrow on some notes). Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:13 pm 

I just tried to pull the end cap off of mine, and it wouldn't budge. If you have to put too much effort into it, it's likely that it's a bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:50 pm 

No, it is not removable. Chet

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:00 am 

Thanks anyway! I find it really mysterious. With the manual that came with the flute there was a piece of paper where the possibility of adjusting the cork is clearly mentioned:

(https://ibb.co/vP8ySLc)

Also there is one music shop that sells "re-tuned" Aulos Stanesbies: they told me that they modify the toneholes and also change the position of the cork.

I can see why Aulos would make it extremely tight, I don't see why would they permanently seal it. And it doesn't really offer a good grip (the cap is thin and slippery). I feel like if I handed it to the right person (one of those guys that bend horseshoes barehanded etc.) he would remove it without even putting to much effort into it.

I won't have peace of mind until I hear from someone who either opened it successfully or broke it off.