Surfactant & Delrin flutes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
LimuHead
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Surfactant & Delrin flutes?

Post by LimuHead »

Hello flauters!

I've recently purchased 2 Delrin flutes and noticed
that they both get stuffy in the headjoint after playing for a while (moisture build-up). I never had this happen on my Boehm flutes. The moisture just drips out of the end of the flute on the Boehms.

Has anyone here tried to use a surfactant like Duponol or dishwashing liquid in the bore of a Delrin flute to reduce clogging?

Please let me know if this is a good idea or not.

Thank you!
Aldon
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
jim stone

Re: Surfactant & Delrin flutes?

Post by jim stone »

Have no idea about that stuff, however I do play delrin flutes without these difficulties.
There are some standard things to do. First, swab the flute more often. The Flute Flag, if
you can afford it, enables you to swab the whole flute in one swipe. Second, holding the
flute, I close the holes and blow hard on the embouchure hole, which helps clear the flute
of moisture. Third, while not playing, I hold the flute vertically, head up, or put vertically
in a corner or wherever and let it drain. I wouldn't reach for anything exotic yet, FWIW.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I haven't experienced the problem, to my knowledge.

Desi Seery used to suggest oiling the bore of his Delrin flutes to facilitate playing.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
LimuHead
Tell us something.: I'm not new here. I have been registered here for many years. I am not a spammer, though being from Hawaii, I do enjoy eating spam. Now the site is requiring at least 100 characters in this box. It would have been nice to know that bit of information before I hit submit the first time!

Post by LimuHead »

Thanks for the responses.

I just bought a flute flag online.
My CD! Click here to listen!
Whistle, uke, guitar, English concertina & more!: http://www.nowhereradio.com/onemanband
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

It did make me wonder if they were somehow dirty inside. The flute flag will help you if that is the case. Conical bore flutes should drip like boehm flutes. You could also try changing your hold to a slight downward angle, rather than the parallel to the floor classical posture. It may or may not help. It does not need to be extreme. The conical flute may not be as efficient in draining as it's cylindrical brethern.
Terry McGee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Terry McGee »

Sorry for the slow response, I've been a bit busy over here!

I can't see any reason not to try a surfactant or detergent - it's certainly not going to bother the delrin. Using warmer water will help the compound emulsify any oils or plasticiser that might be contaminating the bore. Don't use a bleach - I understand delrin doesn't like chlorine.

I'll be interested to see if you can see an improvement.