Hello guys, i need advice to buy a flute.

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
lordbubyan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, i like flutes and i study and practice with a boehm flute. Recently i discovered the irish flute and i want to give it a try. I like the idea of a keyless ancient and primordial instrument with only 6 holes :D

Hello guys, i need advice to buy a flute.

Post by lordbubyan »

Hello, i´m a boehm flute student and i would like to try an Irish flute. My budget is around 500€ and i live in spain. I have been researching and it´s crazy, i´m more confused now than before: delrin, wood, prattern, rudall, tunable, not tunable...

I saw a McNeela African Blackwood Flute on McNeela´s web for only 449€ and i loved it but i don´t know if it´s good. I would like to hear another opinion before throw and waste my money :D

I saw Copley, M&E, Somers and Vicenzo di Mauro flutes. I liked Copley too but he lives in USA :sniffle: I would like to have a keyless flute (yeah i´m tired my boehm flute keys) with good sound, loud and good response. Well guys, sorry for my english and thanks in advance for the help.
tradlad123
Tell us something.: Learning more about flutes here, and looking for good makers. Also used instrument exchange is very convenient.

Re: Hello guys, i need advice to buy a flute.

Post by tradlad123 »

Tony Millyard's flutes are also around similar range, and have seen a lot of people say god things about them here. I haven't tried them, but perhaps someone else can chime in....
All the best
lordbubyan
Tell us something.: Well, i like flutes and i study and practice with a boehm flute. Recently i discovered the irish flute and i want to give it a try. I like the idea of a keyless ancient and primordial instrument with only 6 holes :D

Post by lordbubyan »

Thank you mate, i wil keep an eye :wink:
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

500 Euros seems a pretty good budget for a first flute! With that in mind, Jemtheflute's directory of flutemakers could be worth perusing. Such a budget could also get you a good pre-owned flute. Others are much more qualified to comment on the merits of specific flutes and flutemakers.
Jeggy
Tell us something.: Started playing trad about 25 years ago with tin whistles, and bought first flute about 20 years ago. Played very sporadically, with very little discipline or tuition and unsurprisingly made little progress. Started playing again a couple of years ago after not playing much for 15-16 years.

Post by Jeggy »

There are many great flutes out there but I understand the difficulty in feeling comfortable about making a decision.

I recently bought a delrin keyless from Francois Baubet which I love. I have several other flutes but this is what I play every day. It's a rudall type with short foot in D. Great tone, strong low D, very efficient in terms of air requirement, and relatively light for a Delrin (which is why I asked for the short foot).

He's based in Ireland and the flute I have comes in below your budget.
Juan Pablo Plata
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

Yo encargaría una flauta en delrin a Francois Baubet ;)
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Tony Dixon 3 piece delrin, Damian Thompson delrin, 2 (& 3) piece flutes, M&E are good too, but are heavier.

These are makers flutes that I own & enjoy.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
cac
Tell us something.: Simple system wooden flutes, keyed and keyless. xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx xxxxxx

Post by cac »

Your English is fine. See my reply on the thread 'Beginner question Pratten vs Rudall'. Chet